Plaster walls are how expensive?

Hi,

I'm working on a kitchen project. The kitchen is 16'x16' with 8' ceilings and a couple closets. I had a straight up drywall guy give me a quote of $40/sheet or about $700. Then I had a plaster-over- blueboard come in and I got a quote of $7100. Is that what one should expect for these two different techniques or was one of the guys not sober?

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

plaSTER SHOULDNT COST THAT MUCH MORE, GET MORE ESTIMATES.

no need to plaster behind cabinets etc. closets probably not necessary.

is your home mostly plaster or drywall currently?

Reply to
hallerb

That seems somewhat extreme, but plaster _is_ labor-intensive. It may be he doesn't particularly want the small job, too, so is pricing it at a "trouble factor". The latter would depend, one would presume, on how local conditions are as to whether work is plentiful or not. The price would seem to not indicate a real need to price work w/ the sharp pencil though.

--

Reply to
dpb

7100, whats his price for a whole house, 150.000.00?
Reply to
ransley

Sounds like the low end of the spectrum for the drywall and the high end for the plastering. Where are you located? You should get more bids on the plastering. I'm in California, and I recently had a similar size kitchen done, along with a stairway and a hallway and a closet, plus a 3-coat 40 square foot repair in another room, for $3600. I had already hung the blueboard myself.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

?somebody miss a decimal place on his calculator? Is the $40 a sheet 'paint ready'? Is the plaster guy doing a special pattern?

What did the plaster guy say when you asked him?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

A drywall guy can skim coat the kitchen to look like plaster and be ready for paint. Forty a sheet; ready for paint, is not a bad price if it looks like plaster.

Reply to
Oren

"Oren" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Is the plaster bid for one coat plaster(1 coat of finish) or 2 coat plaster? (basecoat/finishcoat)Does the room have "finished" floors? Are the cabinets stacked in the room? Is the window/door baseboard trim still on? Is the room full of other "stuff"(refg.,stove,ect.) that you are still using? Are the outlets "hot"? Is the ceiling strapped and all the old nails and screws pulled , demo work done and the room cleaned up? Is it a PITA to get 12 foot rock to the room? Are you a "busybody" who will be hovering around all the time?(no offense) All theses things and MORE go into any bid I give. The drywall bid seems a little low and the plaster bid seems a little high depending on the above questions. With drywall you can move things around ,flat tape to trim ,use drop clothes ,ect. Just takes a little more time which is why I think the drywall bid is low..With plaster EVERYTHING must be out of room , floors covered with felt paper,trim masked off and covered with poly and he will probably have to mix plaster and clean up tools and mixing barrel outside depending on how much "mess" is allowed and if the barrel bouncing around will damage floors which is a major PITA especially if it's cold where you are. The floors leading to the kitchen and closest bathroom should also be covered as they will be tracking plaster around....Then all the poly , tape,felt paper ,ect. must all be taken down and disposed off ,room cleaned up and stuff carried back in....As you can see ALOT more work with plaster especially in a finished house with people trying to live there and still trying to use appliances,ect.... Hope this helps...Good luck...

Reply to
benick

2 coats.

No, plywood Are the cabinets

No.

Is the window/door baseboard trim still on?

No

No

Are the

No

Is the ceiling strapped and all the old nails and screws

Yes

Is it a PITA to get 12 foot

It's 8 foot, and no, you can basically drive a truck through the kitchen.

Are you a "busybody" who will be hovering around all the

I recommend that everybody educates themselves about the job and hovers around reminding the contractors of how important quality is for you. If you do not, you are virtually guaranteed of getting subpar results, unless you are one of those rare breed of contractors, like benick I am sure, who work on your house as if it were theirs. (Yes, that would explain the quote, but I wasn't there for the estimate).

Everything is out of the room and room is tightly boarded off.

The estimate says that it'll take two days for a crew of two people. Assuming the materials are $1200, that's $1500/person/day. I do not believe that that's the market price for plasterers. If it is, then I'll abandon my efforts to become a diy plumber and become a plasterer.

Reply to
Aaron Fude

You said room was 16x16 which means they will use 12 foot sheetrock..Less butts...Ceiling height was 8 foot you said...Yes I do my jobs like it was my own . I don't mind someone sticking their head in and checking progress occasionally , but it drives me crazy to have someone set up a lawnchair and sit there all day under foot watching every move like I'm a criminal or something and asking a bunch of stupid questions. I'm not there to "train " you for free and I don't need some know it all home owner to try to tell me how to do my job or "remind me about quality" every hour...Perhaps the plasterer sensed you were gonna be a PITA and bid accordingly and the drywall guy wasn't as good at picking guys like you out ..He'll learn though..I did...Oh. by the way your "assumption" of 1200 for materials is about 600 short....If you think plaster is so easy,try it yourself...LOL...Just remember it's impossible to sand plaster so get it right the first time..It's a ONE shot deal..LOL...

Reply to
benick

I told you I wasn't there for the estimate.

I think the readers of this thread I beginning to pick up with contractors deserve such a bad rap.

Reply to
Aaron Fude