plaster

Hello newsgroup,

You know how I always seem unqualified for my next task? For some, it's the Peter principle. For me, it's the Paul principle where I have to figure it out 2 steps ahead of everyone else.

I have a plaster project in fifty percent humidity, 8000 feet. Things are pretty wet up there by Fenton Lake, NM.

I have a plaster job to complete, but I don't know for sure many things about it.

Q1) Does one "wet-cure" or "dry-cure" plaster? With stucco around here, we wet-cure it for weeks under this sun. This is interior and will be able to be wett-ed down well before application.

What are the best materials? I was thinking stucco-lite as a base coat, but I haven't found a finish coat for that yet.

Will post pics when I get to it.

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

Cal, I use USG Structolite often. I use the same product for scratch, brown, and finish. On small work you may be able to go from scratch to finish, though the dry/cure time is much faster than conventional materials. On interior work I've not worried about curing beyond pre wetting the substrate. A light mist/spray of each layer should keep the bond and shrinkage to a minimum. I have been able to achieve the desired finish with the product. Check with your supplier, but it is compatible with Diamond or Imperial finish if that works better for you. The convenience of one product, water only, and good performance has worked well for me. I do wish they still made the earlier pinkish product with the hair, but I've not had a problem with this newer white product.

Reply to
DanG

Ask folk that work in humid places (think Houston and New Orleans) they don't seem to have any problems. Alternartively use dehumidifiers or turn on the HVAC the day before you start work..

Reply to
NotMe

Thanks, Dan, I went and read the instructions to the strutcolite today, and they specify that it should be put over mesh. (I also accidentally picked up a roll of chicken mesh today, which I will bring up with me.)

With surfaces well watered, cleaned with muriatic, can I expect the adhesion I'm looking for without having to over-react with tensile-strength?

Peace.

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

But that goes to the heart of the question: do I want to keep this moist for a time, aka, wet-curing, or dry for a time, aka dry-curing.

We have mud huts at the walatowa that exist for centuries: it's a central part of the enchantment of NM.

If it's 50% relative humidity, then maybe I need to not worry so much?

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz