phil's outlet question

I'm going to be changing an outlet from a two prong to a 3 prong. The wires are BX cable and the metal box is grounded through the armor. Is the outlet then grounded when I attach is to the box or do I still need to run a wire from the green screw to the box?

If you use a "self grounding" receptacle and it makes metal to metal contact with the box, it's grounded, if not use a grounding conductor from the box to the receptacle

thanks RBM. How do you know if it self grounding?

thanks RBM. How do you know if it self grounding?
The self grounding receptacles have a flat metal piece that binds against the mounting screw (s)
On 11/28/2010 03:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

It'll say so on the box, and usually if it is self grounding there will be a metal tab retaining one of the box screws to the frame of the recep.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 11/28/2010 1:54 PM, RBM wrote:

wire under the cable clamp in the box is how we did it for 40 years. I understand (from threads on here) that it doesn't meet code any more, and they wanna see that pigtail. But I didn't want to disturb that 40 YO romex to add self-grounding receptacles to grounded metal boxes (to replace the 2-holers), and there really isn't much inspection in this township, so I said the hell with it.
--
aem sends...