pex question

what is the better fitting system for pex? Is it the plastic sharkbite or the ring clamp on brass? Or is one better in some apps and the other best in other apps.

Reply to
tmurpha1hi

Sharkbites are for quick, but permanent, repairs or small projects. You'd go broke using sharkbites to plumb a whole house.

So, it depends on what you want to do. If you are plumbing a whole house, use the ring clamps. If you can borrow the tool, use the ring clamps. If you just have a small project like replacing a water heater, use the sharkbites.

Reply to
dennisgauge

ring clamps on brass fittings

Reply to
bob haller

Hi, It is a matter of cost vs. convenience. My whole house is plumbed using ring clamps. Only used sharkbite when I had to install water softener just for quick convenience. Pair of them ocst ~25.00 which will buy many rings, LOL.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I agree with Oren......... expansion tool. Especially good for re-pipes where access is difficult. Tube can be expanded "remotely" and then shoved onto fitting that is hard to access. Crimping must be done in place.

I use Uponor system of PEX with "doubler rings", brass ProPex fittings and a hand expansion tool.

The hand expansion tool is easy to use for 1/2" or 3/4" PEX but it is rather difficult to use on 1". My experience on 1".... takes two guys and a "plan" to get the joint made without screwing up.

When I was looking to do my re-pipe, battery powered tools were EXPENSIVE. They have come down since Milwaukee started to make one.

I bought my hand expander on Ebay and kept it for "repairs" / "changes" but never needed it. My buddy & I re-repiped another house house with it so we definitely got our money's worth.

You might be able to rent one but for a drawn out DIY job it might make more sense to buy one on ebay and flip it back when you're done. A used hand expander with three heads (1/2", 3/4" and 1") will run you about $175 on ebay.

check craiglist too..... there is one about 30 miles from me in LA for $110 with three heads.

has a great web site & good prices.

I highly recommend using the homerun system and copper manifolds with built in valves. They're pretty spendy but imo, they're worth it.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Because the compression ring crimp tool is designed for 1 size and is expensive and because I don't personally like the pinch-type compression ring where 1 tool fits several sizes, I use the pocket crimp tool.

's actually cheaper at places like Lowe's. But if you have a lot of crimps to do, it's not that easy. For onesies and twosies it works ok and it does the 3 most common sizes.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Right now Lowe's Kobalt tool for cinch rings is one of the best and lowest cost for those who must use brass fittings. Works on all sizes and has a fail safe LED indicator when proper size is achieved. For copper stub-outs that must use the full collar type crimp ring, Sioux Chief makes a simple tool that works by tightening 2 screws, and it works just as well as the $$$ ones. In a high production environment, the elaborate $$$ tools are best.

Joe

Reply to
Joe