Pea stone/gravel for a parking pad

Page 2 of 3

Yep. By the way, I don't think it was cheap to do.
--
Dan Espen

Here's the final outcome. The parking enforcement supervisor came out, said "I was training a new girl and although I was fine with your driveway as it was, she got a little ahead of herself."
He said to kill off the grass (already sprayed Roundup on the weeds and grass poking up) and spread around a little more stone and that would be fine. My "landscaper" showed up with $30 worth of pea stone (eight 0.5 cu ft bags) and spread them in two parallel tracks and is going back to get another eight bags to extend the tracks another 12' and we are done.
The enforcement supe was very nice, completely sympathetic and actually apologetic that his new underling was so zealous. We talked about the TV show "Parking Wars" and I told him I didn't take this personally and I am glad he came out to tell me exactly what I needed to meet code.
The only thing that bothers me is that this pea stone is very brown and the stuff that's already there is cream and white colored. No biggie, but that's why he went back for some more stone, to help it all look the same. The stone isn't laid out very deep but the soil underneath is so hard it doesn't have to be. The enforcement guy was also sympathetic to too much pea stone getting into the lawmower and everywhere else so for just about $100 in material and labor, the block is checked and hopefully we won't be seeing code enforcement around here for a long time.
Thanks to everyone who contributed. I know I should have used gravel or something less round but my guy already showed up with the stone (which he spent his own money to buy!) right when he said he would, spread it around and all is right with the world. For now.
--
Bobby G.

Robert Green wrote:

Excellent outcome. Thanks for the follow-up.
<stuff snipped>

Yes, I just hate it when the group offers dozens of solutions but the OP is never heard from again. Next time I will move a little more slowly but I was in a real hurry to avoid a $50 citation so I blitzed. I am much better informed about driveways now, and that's never a bad thing.
--
Bobby G.

<stuff snipped>

One additional follow-up note. The dark brown pea stone ended up becoming a lot whiter after a heavy rain. I guess the claim that they were "washed stones" was not exactly true!
--
Bobby G.

<stuff snipped>

She can learn on someone else's nickel, thank you! (-: This is what comes of neighbors ratting each other out the the law instead of working it out like reasonable human beings. He will be very surprised when I flood the nearby University with flyers for a free kegger at his house. Or spread around a bunch of old house keys with a fob that says "$50 reward for return to - you guessed it - his address." Boy do people get angry when they think they were doing a good deed and were going to get a reward for it and get the blow off from some rude a-hole. Besides, it's a great way to clean out the old key drawer. Two birds with one stone!
It's not wise to say anymore, but this guy looks and acts just like Hussein's demented son and he's angrier than a junkyard dog all the time, even when he's beating his wife who comes over to mine to complain about it but won't file charges because I assume she knows he'll kill her. My wife urges me to live and let live and not antagonize a potential madman. I should follow her advice but this guy's such a dickweed, he needs a little fun in his life. I think he's making pipe bombs in his shed, don't you? (-;
--
Bobby G.

<stuff snipped>

I made up my mind she is slithery because she cost ME money for something no one's bothered me about for over 20 years. That's what I meant by MY nickel. You read it wrong.

Oh Jesus, what crawled up your output port and laid eggs that appear to have hatched in your brain?
Politics has absolutely *nothing* to do with this. Like most other citizens, I don't like being told what to do by some boneheaded trainee, especially if her zeal takes $100 out of my pocket. I don't care if she's left wing, right wing, chicken-winged, black, green, blue or grey or has polka dots. She "slithered" $100 out of my wallet. That's my gripe.
You get a D minus on this troll attempt. But keep playing, maybe your grades will improve.
--
Bobby G.

I had to spend money to be compliant - that was what the supervisor and I agreed on needed to be done to insure Zelda the Zealot doesn't forget her training and cite me again. You must have mis-read what I wrote. Again. Let me refresh your wildly inaccurate memory:
"He said to kill off the grass (already sprayed Roundup on the weeds and grass poking up) and spread around a little more stone and that would be fine."
"Spread a little more stone." Where were the rocks supposed to come from? Your head? It seems to be full of gravel. Was I supposed to create those stones from nothingness? (Ex nihilio for Latin lovers). I had to buy them. Someone had to spread them. Money had to be spent. And all because a new, over-zealous employee might make the same bad judgement call again. Now she can't. The violation no longer exists. She's been neutralized.

Jeez, dude. There's only one person whose analogies are THIS bad. I wonder now if you're Chet's sock puppet? The ineffectual slam you're going for here is preposterous. When someone calls another poster HERE in AHR a "lib loon" or an "imbecile" that means the person being dissed will READ the insult. So will all the other members. Calling someone here a needle-dicked bug raper for trying to ignite idiotic flame wars over nothing is something they will see right away. Typically, long term animosity will be a likely result of such hurling such insults.
On the other hand, my calling someone who never visits AHR and whom no one here knows a "slithery zealot" will never effect her in the slightest bit. She will never know. Her friends will never know. The term was used, as a certain friend of yours likes to say, for comic effect, but it wasn't used against someone in the AHR community. I might as well be dissing Putin or Lincoln. It would make no difference to any of them. They don't visit here.
Odd you never rail our good friend about *his* many demeaning terms for liberals but you're feebly trying to ride my ass for a really ridiculous reason. Do I detect a double-standard?
As far as AHR is concerned, the parking lady is not personally known to anyone and she can't feel insulted, hurt or angry about my putting a label on her. Do you see the difference now? You're talking about two, completely different types of labeling behavior. One is real, the other is deep down inside your very squirmy head.
Just *what* crawled up your exhaust pipe and popped your head gasket, Oren? You're obviously angry about something not really related to pea stone.
Now lie down on the couch with the "hurt" dolly and tell the doctor about mean Bobby Green and where he hurt you. (-:

Geez, does that cliche line work for *anybody?* You're not very good at this, are you Oren? You got *thoroughly* schooled. You hijacked an on-topic thread and dragged *wwaay* OT lame political accusations into it. Then you *tried* to try to insult all liberals and me with some cockamamie complaint about a parking lady no one here knows or will ever meet. Despite all your attempts, you failed. You failed conspicuously. You failed miserably. You failed totally. You got served.
But I won't make your mistake of assuming your current asinine behavior is that of a typical conservative. It's just how a typical hypocrite operates. There are plenty of conservative posters here who would never resort to such tactics because they have class. Find out whether you can buy some from them. Purchase a clue or two, as well, because you haven't got one.
By trying to slam me and all liberals, you've merely proved that you can't make the simplest credible analogy nor can you read for details. The words "more stone" meant that I *had* to spend that money or face a possible citation that could cost as much as the bags of pea stone I had to buy and have spread. Is that really as hard as it seems for you to understand? If so, I've got to re-rate your IQ down into the quiche basement and assign you seating at AHR's kiddie table. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of company.
Hopefully, when you stop smoking scorpion tails . . .
http://suburra.com/blog/2012/05/10/scorpions/
. . . or whatever you did that got your panties so knotted up you'll return to being a fairly normal person.
Now y'all have a nice day, y'heah?
--
Bobby G.

I solved the problem for less than $100. That's my kind of miserly solution and frankly, I think it looks worse than before but at least it's code-compliant. Thanks for the pointer. It's always good to know how I *should* have done it if I cared enough to do it right.
I am hoping that the real estate market will reignite to the point where even the cheapest "fixer upper" (my house) will command unreasonable prices. (-:
--
Bobby G.

Well, that's what happened to the neighbor's pea stone - it was just dumped on the ground and raked out and from there it spread like The Blob.
I'm *completely* unfamiliar with this sort of project, which is why I asked here before searching around the web. So far, I have the general idea of digging a few inches down, lining the trench with landscaping cloth, putting down a layer of sand and then filling to the top of the trench with pea stone, pea gravel, regular gravel or one of the dozen or so stone products I see advertised locally.
Thanks for your input, Bob!
--
Bobby G.

posed-Granite-Driveways&IDc2> That site has lots of great and expensive ideas for really doing up a driveway. Too bad I am looking to do this on the cheap. (-:
--
Bobby G.

The irony is that after 20 years of parking on the old (now mostly gone) pea stone the ground where the van sits is pretty damn firm. I suspect this project will be a learning experience that follows the rule "There's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over."
--
Bobby G.

Any rounded gravel is of very limited use on the surface as it just rolls about and displaces. It canbe dangerous to walk on esp for old people. It is used in drainage work and for back filling trenches where it is essential that no settlement takes place.
Any loose material used on driveways is just a cheap job and will look like shit in a few year with weeds and algea. It also settles and puddle form.
Robert Green wrote:

You have already checked with asphalt paving companies on a cost for paving? Any kind of loose stone will sink into the ground from traffic after a while, which may just months away, as was mine which started out as shale. I had to temporarily have 2x10 lumber lain down over the shale in order to walk from the car to the front door after a rain. Figure out the cost of stone that has to be overlain over the years versus asphalt paving.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

This "adventure" just started last Friday with a citation notice. Some idjit neighbor complained about the kid next door's SafeLite van being parked too long in front of "his" house - the complainer is a freaking squatter from what I know, allowed to live in the foreclosed property by the bank until it is sold - and the code enforcers came out and wrote citations as far as their eyes could see. I was but one of many.
I believe the intent is roughly the same as when parents say to unruly kids in the backseat on a long drive: "Don't make me come back there, you'll ALL regret it!" We're all regretting it.

I've never had a problem with mud or drainage. The soil here has a very high clay content and the stones that didn't get snow-shoveled or raked away are deeply imbedded in the dirt. The problem is that grass grew up between the gaps and caught the attention of parking

I'm working out all those calculations and talking to neighbors who have fallen down the same rabbit hole. There's actually still enough pea stone embedded in the dirt that it probably satisfies the code. The problem is that we've had a remarkable growing season and the grass has become lush and is growing up through the pea stone that's left. I used Roundup today to kill all the grass, hoping that may be enough to get "the man" off my back.
But I know that paving or concrete are the real solutions. Unfortunately they are also the "real expensive" solutions. I want to save my pennies so I can eat when the Chinese economy collapses and drags the whole world into another bottomless financial pit.
--
Bobby G.

email.me:

I have no advice to offer on the preparation, but I sure do on the material: Pea gravel is too fine for parking vehicles. You want "crushed stone" instead. Best thing to do is to call a local stone and gravel dealer, tell them what you want the stone for and how large an area you need to cover, and let them tell you what to get and how much to get.

That's two votes for crushed stone!
--
Bobby G.

Robert Green wrote:

If you go to one or two places that sell stone, gravel, etc., and ask them, they will have the answer. You just tell them what you want it for and how big of an area you want to cover (how many square feet), they will tell you what you need (or what your choices are), how much it will cost, what they charge to deliver it, etc. They'll know that you want something that compacts together (like "crushed stone", or whatever it is called) and not something that stays loose like you neighbor chose to get.
How thick? -- I don't know. If it were me, I'd probably just ask them how much I would need for a certain size space (such as 10 feet by 20 feet) and 2 inches thick. That will give you an idea of the cost. You may need more than 2 inches thick, but if it were me, I would start with that knowing that I could add more later.
Let us know what you find out and what the cost is.
TomR wrote:

After I posted the above, I saw your other posts about the town and the tickets etc. I doubt that my approach will work given what is going on in your neighborhood with the officials.
My guess is that when you hear back from the officials about what you need to do, you will end up needing to have a driveway put in -- including a permit for the new driveway. If that's the case, asphalt will probably end up being the lowest cost.
If, for some reason, your town wants a driveway or parking area put it, but doesn't require a permit, you could wait until some of your neighbors have an asphalt driveway going in and ask the company doing the work what it would cost for you to have one put in while they are already there doing work on that street. I had an asphalt driveway replaced and expanded about 4 years ago. While the workers were there doing my driveway, the owner of the company went up and down the street and 3 other neighbors on the same street had him do theirs at the same time. Of course, he didn't do them all in the same day, but they had all of their equipment there and just did all of the driveways while doing mine and for 2 days after that.
In my case, I didn't get a permit and I don't know if I needed one since it was a replacement and not a new driveway. And, none of my neighbors got a permit. But, in your case, the town is there and watching every move, so you'll have to figure out what the requirements are and then just do what they say.
On 7/24/2013 12:05 PM, TomR wrote:

check maximum area coverage for driveways. in my town, there's a %age maximum front yard coverage with hard surfaces (paving, concrete, etc) to prevent someone from paving their entire front yard for parking.