Paver Sub Base question

I'm finally getting to a paver job I've wanted to do for a long time. I picked up a few yards of Class II base ( I guess it's also known as 3/4 crush with stone dust, etc. ) Assuming the grade is firm ( with clay like soil ), and I lay a bed of approximately 4" thick, how much can I expect that to compress down to? 1/2", 3/4", 1"?? Reason being, if it'll compress, say, 1/2" then I want to lay it at 4 1/2" to get my 4" compacted. I'll be renting a 5 hp reversible plate compactor. Do you need any more info before giving a guess?? Thanks in advance!!!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

It has been 20 years since I did this and I could be way off. I think 6" dry will net 3-4" compacted. You might be able to get better guidelines from you stone supplier of at the Vulcan materials website. Of course they are going to quote PSI pressure or compaction density figures.

I do know that the addition of water to the DGA base both prior to and while compacting it will get the most solid base in the shortest period of time. It will settle very little after you plate compact it while adding water at the same time. So even if you have to go over it 2 or 3 times once you get it right, it will stay that way.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Most what I have done gets to about 2-1/2 inch from a 4 inch, I only wet enough to control dust, not very much water.

Reply to
MC