patching siding holes

Did a little renovation and I am re-using the pressed wood siding that I temporarily took off.
I imagine that just about anything...wood putty, vinyl spackle would work to fill the holes before repainting. Any concerns? Preferences?
Thanks in advance!

Bondo sold at automotive stores won't hold any moisture.
Colbyt

I used Bondo many, many years ago.....doesn't it have to be used quickly as it hardens fast?
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:35:35 -0400, "Colbyt"

After talking with more than one or two automotive paint and body guys about body fillers, I understood that Bondo is porous and will let water or moisture penetrate.
I tried a lot of different things to fill the holes the nice woodpeckers put in my cedar siding...nothing worked very well until my nephew brought me a can of Minwax High Performance Wood Filler. Be sure it says High Performance because Minwax makes a lot of different wood fillers. You have to mix it like an epoxy (2 step) and use fast. But it works wonderfully and I am happy not to be making any more trips up the ladder.
You can get it at Home Depot and probably everywhere else.