Partial tub re-caulking

I want to fix a failed part of caulk in my tub that has mildew. I hear that all of the old caulk needs to be removed because new silicone will not stick to old silicone. Can I remove just the section that is bad? The bad section is connected to the caulk that is still good and it would take a lot of work to remove all of the old caulk. If I only remove the bad caulk section, what do I do with the border between the new caulk and the old caulk that is still good?

-Edwin

Reply to
Edwin Goei

You might try cleaning the mold. If the mold is really bad, I suggest removing all of the old calk and replacing it with a calk designed to be mold resistant. Doing just part will result in miss-matched colors and textures and in a short time the calk you did not replace will have the same problems and you will end up replacing it a little at a time. Do it once right and be done with it. Don't skimp on calk quality.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan