Painting secrets

I just know somebody from an initials-only organization is going to come a disappear me for revealing these gems. But a Popular Mechanics article promotes the following:
* Sanding * Tinted primer * Press blue tape with putty knife * Use paint extender/conditioner * Scrape a ridge in a textured ceiling * Use canvas drop cloths [better if it has a plastic backing] * Do one wall at a time * Scrape (don't tape) windows * Box paint * Wash roller covers before use * Degrease walls before painting* * Load the brush * Push paint
Full explanations and examples here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/interior/13-painting-secrets-the-pros-wont-tell-you#fbIndex13
-------- * Oil and (latex) paint don't mix. You can use fact this to your advantage by spraying your hands with PAM before painting. After painting, a squirt of PAM in the paint can will put a thin layer of "oil" atop the remaining paint thereby preventing skin formation.
I had no idea you were non-English speaking! ex. "...is going to come a disappear me..." and "You can use fact this to your advantage..."
Bob Villa wrote:

My native language was Pig Latin, or at least that's what my parents spoke whenever they were around me.
Just shows how willpower can overcome even the most insignificant of deficiencies.
P.S. Being multi-lingual can reap rewards. I'm presently at work translating the New Testament into Morse Code.
I intend to bill the result as "The Translation for the Pastor Who Has Every Other Translation."
Plus, the work will be directed to a specific market. My previous endeavor, attuned to a general audience, "Toilet Tissue Origami - The Ultimate Book for the John," frankly did not meet my sales expectations.
HeyBub wrote the following:

Perhaps you did not use the right brand?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Just don't plagiarize my own magnum opus: "The physics of toilet rolls", subtitled: "To hang inside or outside".
HB

Just for the record, the non-standard use of the verb "to disappear"with a direct object is now accepted because people are, indeed, "disappeared" by criminals, terrorists, or other unsavory actors. This usage appears regularly in the media.
HB

Are we talking actual English here? "(Someone)...is going to come a disappear me..."! Let it be your record then!
Bob Villa wrote:

How do you feel about "I'm going to adios the trash"?
I often say good-bye as "hoista ya legga". Little Spanish lingo there...

I paint two walls at once with a roller in each hand. It's twice as fast and good for developing your split vision. Sometimes I rig up a hard hat with another roller so I can do the ceiling at the same time.
And what's this about a "drop cloth"? Painting the floor at the same time is the easiest part.
On Jul 18, 12:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Papa Pat) wrote:

Explain about paint pan - invention of the devil? What else would you use?
HB

Look.... I meant NO disrespect to anyone.
I was just voicing my opinion, as most of you guys do here. There was no need for the rash of bull-shit comments.
Yes I am a home owner, no, I am not Mr. Know-It-All...Maybe I should have explained more of myself... I just got tired of all the bad comments some of you posted...Again no disrespect...But some of you give poor advice and make bad comments. But I do understand the human need to want to help out...Ergo my poorly worded post...
I meant no harm...Yes I did have some spelling errors.. <I'm 73> give me some slack...I was just trying to join in the fun.
Maybe my words don't come out so good in text form. Sorry. But feel free to jump all over me for speaking. I'm a big boy.
Using a pan for painting walls and ceilings is indeed a mistake. Use a five gallon bucket. You won't step in it...you won't knock it over.You can keep at least 2 gals. of material in it and keep your roller sleeve fully loaded<most HO's always run the roller dry>...Yes it does take a little practice...but once you get the hang of it, you'll never use a pan again. Try it.
Also there are screens you can use in the bucket if you need to...Some pro's find no need for them...it slows down the job when production is called for...
Mia Culpa.. <is it spelled right?>
Drop cloth? Pat.... :-)
Papa Pat wrote:

Uh, no. You're thinking of "Momma Mia!"

Actually MAMMA MIA.
HB
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Papa Pat) writes:

Uh, the objections were not about your opinions, they were about the lack of useful information.

5 gallon bucket instead of a pan...
seems reasonable. I don't think it will change my painting life but that's what I was looking for, some information.
Thanks.
--
Dan Espen

On Jul 19, 9:59am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Papa Pat) wrote:

Close. It's MEA CULPA.
Ego te absolvo.
HB

clipped

But h.o. don't use five-gal. very often....what then?

Mea culpa?

I've done a good deal of painting, but have never been able to roll flat paint so that there aren't roller marks under side light. Always thought the roller was too loaded. I am obsessive about prep, and do pretty well, but don't like painting walls for that reason.
Papa Pat wrote:

Recently I had to have an MRI. Of the three (female) technicians in the MRI room, one said I'd have to lower my pants (I guess the zipper might influence the machine) and offered a modesty sheet.
I demurred, noting I was sure the three ladies had seen a male in his shorts before.
After the scan, as I was pulling up my pants, I remarked: "I certainly got a different reaction from you girls than I usually get when I drop-trou at the bus stop."
Shock. Giggles. Offers to meet after work.
Anyway, it makes sense, if you are going to DROP CLOTHES (particularily at a bus stop), to use cheap ones as you suggest - you may have to leave without them.