painting railroad ties

I have some railroad ties in my yard as a short wall I would like to spruce up by painting them. What would work? I'm thinking maybe solid color oil based stain?
theid wrote:

Jeeezis, dude...WHY??!
They're *railroad ties*. They're *supposed to* look like that!
--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,

SB wrote:

Yep. Creosote. An oily substance that is a real mess if you come in contact with it. The thoughts of what it would do to your paint when it seeps out on a hot day are...ugggghhhhhhh!
There's a reason why they last 100 years out there under the rails, they're extremely well saturated with the stuff.
--
If u want the races for free,

WHY paint them at all? If however you insist, a nice 'dark brown' would be an appropriate colour. If the appaearance offends you why not put in some nice concrete and paint that any colour you want?

Yep. That was my though before I even opened the thread. I have about 100 of them as a retaining wall. The light play on them through the day is entertaining.
Harry K
Sound's like a good idea. But, only if you plan on re-painting every 30 minutes.
RB