Paint vs. primer on newly textured walls

My walls have just been textured with drywall compound. Can I paint directly on the compound or do I need to use a primer first? I have plenty of paint so the expense isn't an issue.
Crabshell wrote:

Well why not try a section and see what happens. If it looks good, and there are no unusual problems you are not telling us about, you should be able to go ahead.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Crabshell wrote:

We just removed wallpaper and the paste under it. Patched the dings, cracks and gouges and on one wall applied some venier plaster. And some of the walls were textured (swirls made with a brush). So, we had a variety of surfaces to cope with. GF convinced me to apply a primer, Zinser 1-2-3 with mold/mildew killer in it. Then we painted the large room and it came out very nice. It concealed the various surfaces.
Applying the primer is another step and it takes time but I have to admit she was right.

Prime it. Makes for a better finish in the long run.
Crabshell wrote:

I like to use an oil-based primer, that's me. The paint companies and their experts will say something different however. They will tell you that is not necessary to buy another product since the intended fiish coat will act as an excellent primer.
The only reason they even stock primers and oils is because old dudes like me keep asking for it. I have to think you can have good results either way. You may be able to produce a marginally better, more durable, finish with a dedicated primer but it usually OK to skip it.
Crabshell wrote:

A few months ago I was prepping a wall to be primed/painted in our new house. There was no primer between the drywall and the paint, and i could find a small hole, and literally lift the latex paint off and away from the wall in very large rubbery sections. The bond between the two was just awful. I would absolutely prime the walls.
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 19:07:07 -0600, Crabshell

Standard industry practice is to use a primer/sealer followed by one or two top coats as required. My personal preference these days with a full wall coat of compound is to give it a coat of Gardz, followed by a coat of primer, followed by one or two top coats as required. FWIW YMMV