paint sheen on an old house

Hey everyone,

I'm about to paint my house that was built in the late 1700's. I'd like to use a paint that looks old, but with the bennifits of modern paint. The previous owner painted it a color I hate, in a flat sheen.

Looking around, it looks like old homes are often painted with at least a semi gloss?

Anyone have any suggestions for getting a "somewhat period correct" look.

Thanks

Reply to
John

Looking around will not tell you very much. I doubt that any of these homes are original 1700's paint. If you want to be historically correct, do some research

for starters.

Ask your local historical society. They probably have a lot of information.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A house built in the 1700s may not have been painted. If your serious about period appearance - and I for one hope you are: State Historical Preserfation Officer University Architectural Historian Local Preservation Society National Trust for Historic Preservation

Paint can be a problem if not chosen and used with a knowledge of the entire building system.

We live in 1830s house that had severe blistering when a new paint with good sealing characteristcs was applied with the addition of "caulk to make it look nice".

TB

Reply to
tbasc

A house built in the 1700s may not have been painted. If your serious about period appearance - and I for one hope you are: State Historical Preserfation Officer University Architectural Historian Local Preservation Society National Trust for Historic Preservation

Paint can be a problem if not chosen and used with a knowledge of the entire building system.

We live in 1830s house that had severe blistering when a new paint with good sealing characteristcs was applied with the addition of "caulk to make it look nice".

TB

Reply to
tbasc

"John" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

I had my 1903 house painted last year. I used the Benjamin Moore palette of historical colors to make my selections. These are "tried and true" classic colors and combinations.

For sheen, I chose Moor-Gard (eggshell/satin sheen) for the body and Moor- Glo (semi-gloss) for the doors and trim.

Dee

Reply to
Dee