paint/primer question

Opinions sought on the following:
Should the brand of your top coat paint be the same as that of the primer?
I ask this wondering if they are designed to "work together" for more than marketing reasons.
Thanks
Edee Em I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in....

You're kidding, right?!
I haven't ever gotten that impression. I usually use Z-Prime or BullsEye primer and they're not even in the topcoat paint business... I guess I also see no trouble with using the same company but wonder if you'd pay for the name. Like I said, I use Z and Bulls exclusively.
Howard

Use the right primer for the surface , the company making the topcoat may not make the proper primer.

No.
there are some finishes for some things that i think it is a good idea to use the same brand of primer as paint.
but if we're talking about latex house paint here, no.
randy