Paint in shed

Hello,

I have several cans of Latex paint (including one can of primer) in my shed. Some cans are almost full and some are almost empty. It has been below freezing off and on this winter season. Are those cans of paint garbage now?

Thanks,

Reply to
Chris

Would it make sense to you to open the cans and try a little sample of each?

Reply to
cavedweller

Yup, but it's still below freezing and I'm afraid that once I get the lid off now, I wont be able to get it back on.

I should also mention that there is frost on the outside of the cans. The frost is only where the paint fills the can.

Reply to
Chris

What??? Why would that be the case?

Bring the cans in the house for 48 hours. Shake the bejeezuz out of them, like the mixing machines at the paint stores. Test on a clean piece of wood.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Looks like it might be easier to sit in the house and type questions for usenet. I hate it when other Canadians ask lazy questions. ;)

Reply to
cavedweller

Agreed,,no guarantees tho..What I've been told with water based products is,,"if it returns to original consistancy when mixed it's probably ok"..Mold or mildew is the real enemy..Do the cans say anything about freezing? If You have doubt do'nt use it anywhere important.. Dean

Reply to
Dean

I just figured that there might be someone who has had this happen to them and they would share their experience. By the sounds of it, there is no definitive answer. So, I'll have to test them to see.

Reply to
Chris

A lot depends on how well the cans were closed after the last use. Some cave people wreck the lids.

But, I still want to know what you mean by not being able to get the lids back on. That makes no sense.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I was thinking of the difference in temperature between the lid and the can. Both are metal, but the can has cold liquid inside. So, I was thinking that when I bring the can inside, the lid might expand at a faster rate than the can. Obviously, this isn't an issue. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris

It's not an issue because if you read the label, it will say "Do not use below {some temperature}", usually between 50 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Therefore, you would not do that. You will let the paint reach comfortable room temperature by waiting 48 hours. Overkill, but that's a good idea.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

MY experience way back when says it should be okay after mixing BUT. You ain't a gonna be able to mix it by hand. Use at least is paint stirrer in a drill and it will probably take a bit of time. The stuff I used was quite lumpy when I started mixing it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Freezing can break emulsions. The only solution, as others suggest, is to warm them up and have a look at them. If separated, and cannot be recovered by stirring, discard them. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Discard, according to my local solid waste authority: Place cans outdoors with lids off. Allow evaporation until what's left has solidified, then toss cans in the regular trash can. Obviously, this will have to wait for warmer weather. And, he should check with his local agency to see if this same method is what they want.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hi Chris,

I've had paint in the garage over three winters in PA.. Most of it was Sears Easyliving paint. I know it was frozen and thawed several times.

When I wanted to use it during the winter I'd bring a can in the house a couple of days before I'd use it and sit it in the basement to bring it up to temp. Then I had to shake the daylights out of them and mix with a power mixer blade on my drill, but I've never had problems with using them.

Not saying that this is the case with all paints, but like I said, I haven't had a problem yet... :-)

Of course now that I've posted this we all know what I'll find the next time I pull a can of paint out to use... ;-O

Reply to
bremen68

Yes.

Reply to