oversize GFI 2-gang outlet - available?

hi. I was replacing the outlet in a bathroom with a new GFI outlet. Because I'm installing into a 2-gang box (the old wiring had an outlet on one side of the box and a switch on the other, I think this was code back in the 60s) I bought a special plate which centers the GFI plug in the middle of the two boxes.
When I reinstalled, I found that the drywall cutout was too large, and I've now got a noticeable gap, maybe 1/8" wide, around the plate. Whoever drywalled this place cut several of the holes too large, and I've usually simply purchased oversize plates to cover the gap, rather than tape and re-paint.
However, I can't seem to find an oversize plate for this one. It's a GFI plug (decora style), centered in a 2-gang plate. Anybody else ever encounter this?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
maurice
Why not reinstall the switch and gfci side by side and get an oversized plate

I have found GFI oversize cover plates. In all colors. Stay away from the BORG (lowes and home depot), but rather go to your local electrical supply. I even got oversize cable and phone cover plates. Perry

You will be assimilated ... resistance is futile.
perrylep wrote:

I'll try a specialty supply store. I've checked Leviton's online catalog, and couldn't find an oversized plate in this format - plenty of one gang oversize plates, or 2 gang, 2 switch / plug / whatever plates, but no centred-decora on a double gang plate.
But I'll try the local electrical supply. thanks.

How about 2 gang, one side decora and the other blank? I've wished I could find those. You could use a 2-gang decora plate with an additional receptacle if you wanted. That wouldn't cost very much, and extra outlets don't hurt. Only one needs to be GFI. Connect the other to the LOAD terminals.

Mark Lloyd
The box is not a standard 2-gang box. Rather, it's a square box like you'd see used to rough in a dryer plug. Not sure why, but I've seen this many times in houses built in this era (mid 60s). When upgrading to a GFI, you buy a kit that includes a steel plate which attaches to the box using the screws in the corners. The steel plate in turn has the mounting holes for a standard outlet, which is how the GFI gets mounted. Then the cover plate goes on top.
This is why I didn't simply add a second receptacle or put the plug on one side and a blank on the other. Mark Lloyd wrote:

maurice wrote:

Sounds like an original 4 inch square box and you are adding a mud ring (mud-plaster goes up to the edge of the rectangular ring). They are readily available in 2 gang. They come in different depths, so measure what depth you need. If your plate is flat (4 inch square box close to flush with the plaster), and if you can't get a flat 2 gang plate get a shallow 2 gang ring and mount it inside-out.
-- bud--
RBM (remove this) wrote:

good question, I should have considered it, but now that I've installed the GFI, I kind of like the look of just having it, and not a switch. Plus, the switch is sort of useless.
I've never seen a device centered in a two gang box, other than a large range or dryer outlet. How does it fasten to the box?

Tape? Have you ever worked with spackling compound ... it fixes all kinds of problems and is not rocket science. But, it is tedious (takes several applications to do it right) and does require a little sanding and painting.
Try this wallplate manufacturer: http://www.mulberrymetal.com/ If you find something that you like you can jot down the part number and go to an electrical supply house and order it. I seem to recall seeing the plate that you are referring to in one of their catalogs. If you don't see what you want online, go to a supply house and ask to look at their Mulberry catalog or contact Mulberry or one of their reps directly to get a part number.
I think that the most readily available wallplate in midsize or jumbo would be a two gang blank/GFI, but the GFI opening would not be centered.

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:19:57 -0500, "John Grabowski"

And I suppose there would be NO real need to have it centered.

Mark Lloyd