over-the-range microwave good idea?

Page 2 of 2

Thanks for all the advice guys.
In the end I got a regular (Nutone) range hood as the OTRH that matched our stove was backordered over a month.
So now I put in this new one. It took me forever to get the ducting hooked up properly, the existing 'hood' that covered the flapper was angled so my square flapper wouldn't fit into it properly, so I had to go and get a square one, I couldn't get the existing metal ducting to fit properly so I had to get some metal flex ducting, the existing elbow joint wasn't crimped so I had to go back to Home Depot and get another one. The builder drilled in a screw to secure the one elbow to the joist which prevented me from getting the other duct into it properly, the builder also used duct tape on all the joints so I removed it and used metal tape to seal everything etc.
Got it all secured and wired and fired it up only to find it rattles quite annoyingly. Sigh.
You know I had much less trouble getting a new water line put in and connecting my new fridge to it and installing my new dishwasher. You'd think that installing a range hood would be simple but it's made me scream in frustration countless times.
J.
krw wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:

comment, so I will address my original comment. For heating a cup of coffee or a single plate, we could probably deal with the microwave over the range. However, if you cook larger things in the microwave, it is difficult to bring a large bowl or pot down from that height. That coupled with the fact there may be a boiling pot on the range right below, makes it difficult if not somewhat dangerous.