over-the-range microwave good idea?

Page 1 of 2

Just bought a fancy new range and I'm trying to decide whether to get a nice 'angular' range hood and have to get rid of the cabinets above the range, or install one of those combo microwave/range hood units.
I would like to hear feedback from people who actually own or have owned them.
My concern? All the pictures how the unit venting over the top of the microwave. Um, if I buy a nice shiny stainless steel unit isn't it going to get grunged up really quick if all the condensation is constantly flowing over the front of it?
You would think they would have the vent underneath.
Am I missing something?
Thx,
J.
Just bought a fancy new range and I'm trying to decide whether to get a nice 'angular' range hood and have to get rid of the cabinets above the range, or install one of those combo microwave/range hood units.
I would like to hear feedback from people who actually own or have owned them.
My concern? All the pictures show the unit venting over the top of the microwave. Um, if I buy a nice shiny stainless steel unit isn't it going to get grunged up really quick if all the condensation is constantly flowing over the front of it?
You would think they would have the vent underneath.
Am I missing something?
Thx,
J.
If you house is full of short people, like mine, and you use your microwave for actual cooking, rather than re-heating, it is NG. It is too high to lift a heavy pot or cassarole over hot pots on the range. We have a built-in microwave, but we mounted it above a built-in wall oven. We compromised lifting up and stooping down. So, the microwave is a bit high, but the oven is a bit low, but on the average, it works for us.
snipped-for-privacy@spartan.ab.ca wrote:

Art Todesco wrote:

Stainless steel is a pain to clean.
I'd take enamel anyday.
Mrs. Clean
snipped-for-privacy@spartan.ab.ca writes:

Personally, I have an over rnage microwave, and I'm so glad it died finally so I can justify ripping it out an dputting in a hood. The fan on it wasn't terribly effective and it was so friggin loud I never want to use it. Yes the door will get grunged up from cooking fumes/grease.
Independently speaking, Consumer Reports recently did head to head testing of over range microwaves vs vent hoods. As for removing smoke and odors, even the worst vent hood beat the crap out of the best ventilating microwave.
Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
snipped-for-privacy@spartan.ab.ca says...

I briefly considered one of those, but decided to stick with a range hood that vents to the outdoors since I'd rather vent oil vapors and combustion products than have the whole family breathe them. Yes, that's less energy-efficient than keeping the fumes in the house, life is full of tradeoffs.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
We put in a microwave over the stove and it works fine. Has a short visor on lower front edge which helps direct steam & grease to the fan which does pull from UNDERSIDE of the unit. Has a built-in under-light and also has grease filters which can be removed & cleaned. We are short people but somehow never use the microwave for huge heavy pots. Mostly for reheating, making popcorn, defrosting.
If your stove is on an outside wall, definitely get a venting over-the-range microwave. Saves lots of space in a kitchen, to stack appliances that way.
C.C.
snipped-for-privacy@spartan.ab.ca wrote:

I installed a microwave over a hood that is vented up through the attic and roof. That was 14 years ago and it is still going strong. I would do it again but I certainly would avoid Magic Chef. Yes, it does collect a bit of grease and dirt, but you just need to clean it once in a while.
I bought a Panasonic over-the-range microwave / range hood and installed it over my gas range in a new kitchen. It works very well, saves space (by combining the range hood and the microwave), and it vents to the outside. It's got big CFM, plenty for a gas range, and is a very good microwave to boot.
The only complaint I have is that the fan tends to cycle on when I'm cooking with multiple burners, to prevent it from getting too hot (there's a thermostatic fan in there). The fan, on high, is pretty loud, sometimes when I'd prefer the quiet. There is something reassuring, though, that it will automatically clear heat from my kitchen when the stove is getting hot...
In my last house, I installed a similar unit over an electric range, and never had any complaints.
Good luck!
maurice wrote:

I had a microwave with the same feature, which I was not aware of until it came on in the middle of the night once. Scared the daylights out of me, because I heard it come on, go off, several times. Convinced I had an unwanted visitor, and so scared I didn't think of dialing 911. Good thing. I just marched out to the kitchen to meet my fate :o)
We love our OTR microwave (LG brand). Saves counter space, it's a super-quiet fan (unlike some, which are REALLY loud) and does not get "grimed up" at all, although we rarely cook greasy foods indoors.
By the way, OTR microwaves do not vent from the top of the microwave-- they do it from the bottom. If you have a ventless setup, it sucks it from the bottom, runs it through a charcoal filter, then blows it out the top (pretty much ineffectual, IMHO). Ours properly vents out the roof.
-Tim
I have one that came with my new home. I personally don't know what people buy microwaves for. The last one I used was in my parents home 30 years ago. I tried this one and nothing tastes right when I cook in it. Seems highly unnatural to me.
But as a fancy vent and fan with a clock , it works fine. And I guess if I'm in a hurry I can eat rubbery food once and a while.. CP

Not everything can be microwaved and taste good, but some things are very good. Corn of the cob, for instance. Most any veggie can be nuked and be very good. Used properly, they can be very handy, but it is not the place to cook a Holiday dinner.

You don't know how to use the microwave correctly then. We use ours all the time -- typically not for preparing main dishes, but for things like defrosting ground beef, reheating leftovers, preparing quick frozen meals (e.g. hot pockets), and much much more.
If your food turns "rubbery" that means you're overheating it. You probably need a lower power and more time.
-Tim
snipped-for-privacy@spartan.ab.ca says...

We have one (range hood/microwave/convection oven) in this house over the stove in an island. They're expensive (had to replace it) but work well.

Not a chance I'd have SS in the kitchen. ALl of our appliances are black except the refrigerator (creamish color with a pebble finish).

Steam rises?
--
Keith

I have a Goldstar and it has worked perfectly for 8 years. We use it several times a day but I'm always nervous taking out hot dishes because of the height, it's just asking for trouble, I'm surpised they are allowed.
The fan sucks all the steam and even smoke on the odd occasion we have forgotten things on the stove out of the kitchen, I set it up to vent out of the wall.
David

I don't understand all the "it's too high" comments. Granted I"m fairly tall, but my wife isn't, and she loves ours, as does my mom hers.
Before microwaves were common, many folks had those little heating ovens that went over the range in the same location...
I'm almost wondering if some people mount theres a lot higher than ours is. Ours is underneath a set of small cabinets. There used to be a standard range hood there before I put the micro in... It probalby sits 18" or so above the stove top to the bottom of the micro...
-Tim
Maybe I should located the book and read it then. I might actually enjoy it..? I did read once where it can cause eye damage if you have a MW that has a leaky door seal. I'd imagine it has to be kind of aged for that to happen though..CP

I can live with the high lift, but previous owner was an idiot, and butchered the cabinet above, to get the round exhaust duct to fit. Been pondering since I moved in, on just how to whittle some boards to box in the duct and hide the oversize holes in cabinet (bottom, shelf, and top) to make it presentable looking in there, and keep attic insulation from filtering down. (Some people should NOT DIY, and the previous owner here was one of them. Been finding stupid and sometimes dangerous stuff since I moved in.)
Also, it is one of those damn touchpad units where it takes ten button presses to do anything. Since my 24 year old Samsung countertop micro still sort of works, and takes just a knob twist and button press to use, I find myself using the old one most of the time.
I agree with the people who say built-in micros are a bad idea. Fans last basically forever, and come in standard sizes. Micros usually last maybe ten years, and the sizes keep changing. Better to build in or add a dedicated shelf to hold a countertop-style micro.
aem sends...
In article <Kr5Wg.221802$QM6.103438@bgtnsc05-

I've been finding stupid and dangerous stuff the builder of this house did twenty years ago.

I found several that were exactly the same size as the original GE. The over-the-range units seem to be standard 30". ...just like the ranges. ;-)
Mine is built into a copper range hood (actually both hang from the ceiling) that covers pretty much the entire island so a shelf would be out.
--
Keith