Outlets -- which way?

Page 1 of 4

Is there a "right" way for wall outlets to face?
Should they be
or
O | |
O | |
and why?
The top way makes little faces and the ground pin is closer to the ground, but it seems like the bottom way might be safer (something metal would hit the ground pin first if it fell). Any other reasons to prefer one way over the other? How about sideways (I won't attempt ASCII art for sideways).
-Don
--
"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice.
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Standard practice is changing.
Don Fearn wrote:

^That one is right side up.

^That one is upside down.

Darned if I know. There might be a written code somewhere?

Seems to me that if you drop something metal on a plug, the plug will probably just pull out of the socket?

newsreader wrote:

I've personally seen a metal outlet cover plate where the screw fell out and the plate fell across the plug that was in the outlet. It ended up balanced on the wider neutral blade and dangling about 1/64" away from shorting to the hot blade. Had to kill power to the circuit to fix it.
Pete C.
why would the screw fall out? This is a ridiculous scenario.
--
Steve Barker

"Pete C." < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message

Because people often pick up their homes & offices and shake them really hard, which loosens all sorts of hardware.
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:05:20 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"
Most places that use stainless steel outlet covers often have construction going on all the time.
Vibration.
Terry wrote:

Bingo!
Pete C.

If you're going to think of office buildings as if they were cars, boats & aircraft, then the law should forbid using screws to attach wires to outlets and switches.
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 18:24:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Or they should have wires through the screws so they can't unscrew. Finally a way to use those wire twisting pliers I keep posting about. I'm going to start on it tonight.

I'm a big fan of crimp connectors, but I'm lucky to have a tool that does them correctly. The ones I see in stores nowadays are no better than putting the connector on the floor and stomping on it.
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:05:20 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"
Screws do come loose.

Mark Lloyd

All of my replacement faceplates come with a small cardboard washer behind the screw, so that even if it did come loose from the outlet it would remain attached to the faceplate. Regards --
JimR wrote:

Loosing the screw on the floor isn't the issue, the issue is having the metal cover plate land balanced on the exposed conductors of the plug in the outlet. It's not a pretty thing, especially when you can't turn off the circuit right away to fix it due to the equipment plugged in. With a plastic or nylon cover plate it would of course be a non issue.
Pete C.

If you land a metal cover plate balanced across the plugs, the circut is likely to be turning itself off, anyway. If you got something that mission-critical plugged in, why isn't it on a UPS?

The circuit would turn itself off, after a spark between the metal cover plate and the hot wire caused an explosion.

Maybe it was, but it was the UPS plug that had been knocked partly out of the outlet.
Yes, I see that now. there are several loose in this group. <G> I personally have NEVER seen an outlet cover plate unscrew itself in a home, in a shop, in an aircraft plant, in a school, in a garage, where there was loud music, OR in a hospital.
--
Steve Barker

"Mark Lloyd" < snipped-for-privacy@xmail.com0.invalid> wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 20:49:15 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"

I haven't either, but I have seen door locks (on wooden doors) unscrew themselves. Also water faucets (loosening from the sink, not causing a water leak).

Mark Lloyd
Don Fearn wrote:

I like sideways...less cord interferance. All mine are ground down because that is the way the electrician installed them.
--

dadiOH