Outlet in a closet

Page 1 of 2
Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to move my security camera and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR
thanks richard

Just run it off the lite.... not going to need even 2 amps, much less 20. Use zip cord.... I mean Romex.... lol 10 min job. Or a 1 min job if you use a screw-in bulb-outlet adapter + an extension cord.
--
EA

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:32:11 -0500, "Existential Angst"

When I was about 5, 1952, my father wanted another outlet in my bedroom, and I'm sure he hired a real electrician, and what the guy did is plug a plug with lamp cord into the outlet in my father and mother's bedroom closet**, drill a hole through the wall just above the baseboard into my room and run the wire just above the baseboard to the surface-mounted receptacle he put in.
**It was your reference to zip cord that made me reply, but come to think of it, the receptacle WAS in the closet (the house had big closets) , in a house that was built in either 1925 or the 30's.
(It allso had a bathroom bigger than my small bedroom, with a bunch of empty space in the middle. Even though it was not a conversion but built as a bathroom, they hadn't yet come; up with the idea of making bathrooms tiny. It had linoleum on the floor with some strange black and grey pattern. In the center was a square on its corner, with two seahorses face to face, one pink and one black, irirc. At the tiem, I didn't know that seahorses were real. I'm sure the floor has worn out and been replaced, but I really want to check on that outlet .)
I was back at the house in 1964 but didn't think to check if they still have it that way. I'm going to go one more time and see if they're still using this method for the last 60 years.

I have 5 of those I've acquared over the years, if he needs one.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:32:11 -0500, "Existential Angst"

What light? Millions of closets have no lights in them.

This is a tragedy. I'm founding LiFoClos, which will halep to bring lights to the dark closets of America. Our symbol will be a black ribbon, because it's so dark in there.
On Feb 24, 10:03 am, snipped-for-privacy@altavista.net wrote:

Sure it's allowed. But why in the world would you need 20A for a security camera? They probably don't use that on a camera for NBC nightly news these days.... You should be 1 amp or so for all that you've listed.
On 02-24-2013 10:43, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I'm more puzzled by the desire to put a security camera in a closet.
Someone stealing your neckties?

Thieves can destroy the DVR recordings, or take it with them. It's likely thieves might look in closets. It's likely thieves might break into locked closets if given enough time.
My "early 60's house had string pull lights in all closets. My early 50's has none.
Greg
gregz wrote:

Good point about the recording apparatus being accessible to the thieves!
A few years ago, a couple of teenagers broke into a Maine small-town boat repair dock. Their goal was to steal some radios out of the boats.
Oops! Once in, they noticed the cameras!
Nothing for it but to burn the place down.
Unfortunately, the cable ran up the hill to the office of the boat repair company to the recording equipment. It took the local constabulary about two minutes to recognize the culprits. Arrests followed within the hour.
Here's where it gets tricky. The seventeen-year old (an adult) got, after restitution, a five-year probated sentence.
The fifteen-year old was turned over to the Secret Service inasmuch as one of the burned boats belonged to George H.W. Bush. The juvenile was charged with domestic terrorism and ordered confined to the only federal juvenile maximum-security facility, in Pennsylvania, until he turned twenty-one.
So, then, this rosy-cheeked snowflake will be locked up for six years with a passel of drunken Indians.

20 amps? 20 amp breaker, 20 amp receptacle, and 12 gauge wire for that small amount of electronics? Way overkill...unless the circuit is already present and you just want to extend it into the closet. It's still overkill, but if it's already nearby, then why not.
As far as whether or not an outlet is allowed in a closet, I'm pretty sure there's an outlet in this closet.
http://www.electronichouse.com/slideshow/category/5861/895

Thanks folks. I know it is an overkill. Plan to upgrade to 16-camera unit. Just like an extra headroom, 4 cameras @ approx. 3A per 4- camera, that adds to 12A + DVD and monitor. Plus planning to add IR illuminators and plenty of spare 20's already in the main breaker that is unused.
On Feb 24, 12:29 pm, snipped-for-privacy@altavista.net wrote:

What kind of camera uses .75 amps?
that adds to 12A + DVD and monitor. Plus planning to add IR

On 2/24/2013 12:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@altavista.net wrote:

cameras use. At 120 volts, it's probably 1/5 or 1/10 of that. I've done high end studio cameras in a mobile unit and in a studio. Most of those cameras, along with the control room remote unit, only dray an amp or 2 at 120VAC.

I think you may have it figured out. I'll bet he's looking at the wallwart and it says its 3A @ 12V, etc.

I have installed many cameras, even the ones with 120' (yea right) IR lights and they are max 1A at 12 volts.
OP install at least a quad and if you get into a lot of lights they make a power distribution box where you can hook it all up in one big box.
I have 13 at one location and luckily found what I would call an octopus cable, one 110, a power supply and 8 outputs. its maybe 3A at 110.

My oversight folks. I forgot that I was looking at DC.
I think I'll go the distribution box as Cliff mentioned. I've got SMC data distribution box in there. I'll tap off of a J-box that's already in the attic feeding a 20A outlet circuit.
thanks all, richard
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 09:29:30 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@altavista.net wrote:

I bet that is 3a @ 12v
On Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:29:30 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@altavista.net wrote:
ltavista.net> wrote: > > Don't know if this is allowable. Would like to mov e my security camera > > and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be > > a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR > > > thanks > > richard > > 20 amps? 20 amp breaker, 20 amp recep tacle, and 12 gauge wire for that > small amount of electronics? Way overki ll...unless the circuit is already > present and you just want to extend it into the closet. It's still > overkill, but if it's already nearby, then w hy not. > > As far as whether or not an outlet is allowed in a closet, I'm pretty sure > there's an outlet in this closet. > > http://www.electronicho use.com/slideshow/category/5861/895 Thanks folks. I know it is an overkill. Plan to upgrade to 16-camera unit. Just like an extra headroom, 4 cameras @ approx. 3A per 4- camera, that adds to 12A + DVD and monitor. Plus planni ng to add IR illuminators and plenty of spare 20's already in the main brea ker that is unused.
Still massively overkill. Find an outlet on one the walls adjacent to the closet and tap in there with a piece of 14/2. Some juristictions don't all ow closet outlets but I've done a number so I could put electronics in a cl oset.

As long as it's on a 15 amp breaker
Greg
[...]

Please use 14/3 or 14/2 with a ground.