Outdoor Weatherproof Receptacles - Curiosity

This is a question of curiosity more than anything, as I don't plan to make changes to the way I have installed outdoor outlets.

In several homes, including the present one where I am currently installing outdoor outlets, this has been my method...

At a point opposite on the inside of the house where a receptable already exists, I drill a hole in the outside wall (cedar), and from the inside, push through a length of exterior grade "romex" (the same guage as the interior wiring) through an existing self-clamping opening in the interior junction box to the outside and through the hole. I connect the inside wires to the existing receptacle.

On the outside, I seal the hole around the romex with silicone sealant, and mount an exterior weatherproof box (also sealed behind it with silicone swealant. After the sealant has cured, I connect a GFCI receptacle to the romex and mount it in the box. I then attach an "always in use" hooded cover plate to complete the installation.

While I know this has proven to be safe over all the years I've used this technique, I wonder whether it is really according to code, and if not, what exactly would the code require instead.

BTW, I currently live in Mesa, AZ, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any responses.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Nothing wrong with your method. There is no need to use U.F. cable if you're running straight into the FS box.

Reply to
RBM

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 04:03:34p, RBM told us...

Thanks! Yes, I suppose you're right about the cable. I guess I just feel "safer" with it, and I usually have some around the house.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Hi, And better be on GFCI circuit.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 04:21:56p, Tony Hwang told us...

The receptacle I install in the box is GFCI. I need more than that?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Hi, You are OK then. My exterior ones are daisy chained. And Jacuzzi tub is the only one having it's own GFCI breaker.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think he is saying it would be better to put the GFCI in the box you have open. That way, if rain does happen to leak into the wire through the wall and shorts it out, the GFCI should trip. With the GFCI in the outside box, that short run that is near the weather is not protected. In general, the GFCI should be on the upstream end of any protected circuit.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 04:43:43p, Tony Hwang told us...

Each of my exterior outlets is a one-off with an indoor outlet (although some of these are on the same circuit in the main panel), and each has its own GFCI receptacle. Back in OH when we had a Jacuzzi tub, it also had its own GFCI breaker. I presently have no GFCI breakers in my main panel. For now I don't think there's a need. It's a brand new home, and every outlet that needs GFCI protection has it's on protected outlet.

One flaw that I made in the first house where I installed exterior outlets was replacing the interior receptacle with a GFCI, then feeding the exterior outlet. It was inconvenient when something outside would cause a fault and whatever was plugged in inside would also go out. Lesson learned. :-)

Thanks for your comments...

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 05:11:48p, aemeijers told us...

I understand your logic, and did that in the first house where I installed exteriors. However, considering the overall construction, the problem you describe is very unlikely to occur. Also, it's quite inconvenient if something outdoor trips the GFCI inside and whatever is using the outlet on the inside also goes out.

If you read Tony's subsequent post, I don't think mounting it inside is what he meant.

Thanks for your comments, however.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I know someone around here who has 2 exterior receptacles wired to interior ones, with the GFCI in the interior location. This makes it easy to control holiday lights without having to go out in bad weather.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Never thought of doing that. The outlet I put in the front of my house is controlled by an indoor switch for that reason.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 06:25:59p, Mark Lloyd told us...

Well, yes it does, if you don't mind tripping the circuit and not being able to use the indoor socket when you want the holiday light off. I need the full time use of the interior sockets. As far as holiday lights, I have mine on weatherproof plug-in timers. I've also heard, though unsubstantiated, that it's not a good idea to use the GFCI "test" switch as an on/off switch. Apparently it wasn't meant for constant use as such.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Hi, I just use digital timer. X-mas lights receptacle is built-in right under the eave and on exterior walls where needed.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I like your method. Each 'outside' outlet is its own GFCI and accessible from outside if/when it does trip. It protects whoever/whatever is plugged into that outside outlet in the event of anything causing a current unbalance in the live and neutral leads, such as leaky outdoor electric tool etc. Without disabling the whole circuit or tripping a GFCI breaker at the main or secondary circuit breaker panel somewhere inside the house. Which reminds me still have one outside outlet hardly ever used, not itself equipped with or protected by an upstream GFCI. Thanks for the reminder. terry

Reply to
terry

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 07:33:16p, Tony Hwang told us...

Wow, how handy is that! Wish I'd thought of doing that our house was being built.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 07:06:58p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

Several houses ago, we had a house where recessed exterior cans were installed under all the eaves, all controlled by one switch. We didn't really use them often unless we were expecting company after dark, but they fixtures did come in handy during the holidays. We used screw-in plug adapters to power all of the house holiday lighting. One flip an everything was on or off.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Hi, After having 6 houses custom built not counting cottage still not 100% LOL! Now time has run out to try again. On wrong side of 60 now and don't feel like doing it again.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 07:40:54p, terry told us...

Thanks, Terry. It really works well for my purposes, and for the reasons you mention, and it doesn't inconvenient any inside outlets.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 09:42:15p, Tony Hwang told us...

I'm on th wrong side of 60, too, Tony. At 63, I doubt seriously we'll be doing another house. Heck, we've just been in this one 16 months. I doubt there's ever been a house built where some great idea or feature wasn't forgotten. On the whole, though, we're pretty happy with this one.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I use a series of solid-state relays so all the holiday lights are controlled by ONE timer, and so go on and off at the same time. This is a temporary setup That I put out in the middle of October (a few Halloween lights). The individual outlets still have GFCIs.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd