Outdoor Tv antennas

Page 2 of 2
"People claiming that there will be a "true" "digital only" tv antenna is ludicrous. Present day tv antennas will pick up tv signals for the next 100 years. "
100 years? LOL
No one on this thread ever claimed that there was a "digital only" antenna. However, most of the digital transmitters are on the UHF band, so if one has an old VHF only antenna, they won't have to wait 100 years, they already are unable to receive most digital now. Another issue is the location of the digital transmitters, which may not be in the same location in every case as the analog transmitters they are replacing, which means the antenna may need to be oriented in a different direction.
And if you don't believe analog TV is scheduled to be turned off, just go to the FCC website.
Go check with the FCC's site. over the air antennae will only get better and expand. How do you think that Direct TV and Dish Network get the local channels. They pick them up over the air and re transmit them to the sat birds that they use and then down link to the home dish user. Amendments to the US constitution protect us indefinitely to have the right to receive broadcast signals.There are millions of us that would be the first to go to Wash, DC and pull the plug on C-Span I or II if anyone ever tries to deny the US Citizens of free ota tv.
TV going away: "Total BS and hogwash"
Ernie,
The more people that I meet the more that I love my Golden Retrievers. ........

Art wrote:

Why not? HD uses the same channel assignments as are currently used with the current NTSC system. The only difference is that some of the higher UHF channels were not assigned to HD and will be reassigned to other services when NTSC is turned off.

60 miles east will put you in Lake Michigan. If the water is choppy you need a special antenna.
You may get better advice from a local TV dealer or it may even pay you to get a pro to do the job. Do you want Chicago stations or Lansing? Or South Bend? Distance is a big factor, but so is the location of your house. If you happen to be in a low spot, you may not get the same performance as the guy two streets away.

Ha Ha Ha...... I missed this one......
They definately need a rotor in case their boat starts spinning in the wind :)
I wanted to be able to get HD signals and others but since I am surrounded by 60-80ft trees I wonder if this will even be worth the effort, the large old trees are also next to the house, the antenna would be 30ft in the air. I plugged into and am trying my neighbors 18 segment antenna now, 2 comes well, 5 barely, 7-9 poor but Uhf is basicly non existant. I hate to put up the best with a rotator, amp etc and find the trees make this un useable.
m Ransley wrote:

channels. No charge to install the whole thing.
I have a house in upstate NY about 50 mile away from the nearest transmitter. I put up the biggest antenna Radio shack has, plus a rotory motor, which helps a lot. As far as the type of cable, I always thought twin lead was the best since it has the lowest loss. Thats what have now. I say this because I actually did a test with both RG59 and twin lead, and the twin lead was a lot better. This was about 10 years ago, so I don't know if RG6 would be better because I have not tested it.
I've always heard that twin lead wire starts off good but ages poorly from sun,etc.

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:06:56 GMT, "Chuck B."

antenna?
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 05:35:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Trees do not completly block signals, but can interfere. Cant you move the antenna tower to avoid the trees?
I have wanted to place my antanna on top of my 90 foot, (unused) concrete silo, and that would get me excellent reception. Except there is no way I am going up there.... I get the jitters everytime I got to replace the bulb on my yard light pole and thats only 25 to 30 ft.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My map puts him about 10 miles inland, if we're talking due east.
R, Tom Q.
--
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

I have been a professional installer for 30 years and what I have learned is that bigger (more elements is always better) to make up for some of the VHF radio and FM radio stations in portions of the bands that you will be trying to receive. The pre-amplifier is a must if you want to receive some of the other cities in the radius of your geography. This also means that the rotator is also a must. Buy the best quality of RG-6 that you can get your hands on. You need RG-6 especially for the uhf band (chan's 14 thru 69) RG-59 is much to lossie on the uhf band.
Radio shack is kinda sorta "mediocre" at best. I personally use a Channel Master set-up that has been up there off my 2 story atop the chimney with about 13ft free standing including the short 3 foot mast from above the rotor motor and has survived the past 7 hurricanes here in eastern North CArolina for better than a doz years where I live near Fort Bragg. Winegard is also a great choice. Winegard should be available in your area at a good electronic's dist or you could consider checking prices from the internet. By the time you add the cost of a good pre-amp and rotator you would and could buy the same products from Channel Master or Winegard for perhaps $75. to $125.00 more for the whole package and you would be getting the benefit of wireless remote control for your rotor and that is a nice feature that unfortunately Radio Shack doesn't offer. A few dollars better spent now could be insignificant in the many years that you want to enjoy the value and cost savings of your own ant system. There are so many good and wonderful independent stations in the regional area that neither cable nor satellite TV can offer. They keep it down to the big five and and few independent locals and that's it. You have the opportunity to watch dozens of crystal clear channels and no monthly bill either. That's the nice part also.
My complaints with Radio Shack is that the array doesn't hold up well during high wind storms and the pre-amps they sell don't seem to make it for the long haul, whereas the CM or Winegard seem to last forever and even survive most lightning. Not to say that you shouldn't invest in good surge suppression and be sure to ground your coast thru a grounding block with #6 solid copper and attached to the copper ground at your meter base or external grounding loop that could be at your foundation/slab etc.
Oh, also check at Lowe's building suppy store if in your area. They usually have a sale going on with Channel Master antenna products.
Good Luck and hope this helps a bit. If you have any other questions, give me call at 910 964-2009.
Ernie Krist

Ransley,
The Radio Shack antennae work OK. Don't pay full price, wait for a sale. There are various sites on the web which will help you choose the right antenna for your location. Unfortunately the sales people at RS will not be competent to assist you in your choice. Get a cheap signal splitter and you can get good FM radio reception off of your TVantenna. When you mount the antenna leave at least 6 ft of slack in the cable and see how the reception is. Then get a rotator if you need one (that's why you left the slack). I installed a rotator recently and it did a great job of improving radio and TV reception.
Good luck, Dave M.
If you read the url's in my prior post you will get all the data you need such as why twinlead has problems, the extra signal signal loss from rg59, why rg11 has the least signal loss. Preamps (mast or antenna mount) are to overcome the signal loss in your coax from antenna to tv. Look for the least distortion and best s/n you can get. Anything over 2.5 is to much. signal strength decreases the base noise floor increases so you get more noise with longer cable runs without the preamp. If your cable was only 20 feet you would get a better picture without preamnp. But every 18 feet you take a significant signal strength loss. Also the higher the frequency the quicker the loss.
Spend the hour or two reading the data at the urls and get scientific fact and not openions.
My experience with antennas is from being a ham radio operater for the last 40 years and building my own. there are ARRL manuals that cover the simplest long wire antenna's to moon bounce installations At your current stage only the basic novice publications would be of use to you. Stan
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:19:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

I am sending a test post. the past few days I have posted to some of the questions here and my posts have not appeared. If moderated, how do I joing or become approved, etc? Thanks, Ernie,
--

<uriah> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
> If you read the url\'s in my prior post you will get all the data you
It is not moderated. There seems to have been a newsgroup problem a couple of days ago and some posts weren't showing up. Also, there is a bug in Outlook and on random days you cannot see your own posts. No one has figured out why as far as I know. Go to www.google.com and check out the group page and visit this group there and see if you can see your posts.
(m Ransley)