Outdoor pond

Page 2 of 2

I'll second the EPDM roofing material idea. For the first 10 years, my Minnesota pond (10' by 15' by 3') was lined with the thinner vinyl and I was constantly fighting leaks in the last few years. I get 12 to 18 inches of ice on it each year and that's a tough environment for a liner. The UV rays take a toll too. Two years ago I put in the heavy roofing material and the fish or plants don't seem to mind it. I expect it to last much longer. Ponds are not maintenance free, but I really like the sound of the waterfalls and the light reflecting off the water. Even the neighbors like it, although it shuts off at night.
There is a news group named rec.ponds.moderated that is a good source for specific questions and information.
Bigger and thicker is better.
dss