OT Why is the fax machine not dead

Page 3 of 4

I usually just print out the paperwork, sign it, scan it into a pdf, and email the pdf back.

-- I usually just print out the paperwork, sign it, scan it into a pdf, and email the pdf back.
Step 1 - Print Step 2 - Sign Step 3 - Scan Step 4 - email
Step 1 - Print Step 2 - Sign Step 3 - Fax
DerbyDad03 wrote:

We have some Really Keen hi-rez HP scanners at work, that e-mail directly from the scanner, as .pdf files, and keep an audit trail of what they did. Most of us happily gave up our stand-alone low rez desktop scanners, either flatbed or those useless stick things where you had to stuff the paper through 'just so' or the lettering was illegible, and do all sorts of on-screen manipulations to make a mailable document out of the mess. People we deal with prefer product from these fancy scanners to standard fax. Of course, these Really Keen HPs are about $3500 a pop, but for a 15-person office pod, that is easily justifiable. And they are FAST. If we need something for internal use, we just email it to ourselves. It is in the inbasket by the time we walk back to our desks.
But yes, we still have an old-style fax machine, too. It may do 5-6 pages on a busy week.
-- aem sends...

more like: step 3 put document in a place where it'll get seen the following morning step 4 workday : remember document left home. send self an email step 5 at home, put document in car step 6 at work, completely forget step 7 at home, remember document still needs to be faxed, send self another email step 8 at work, see email, go back downstairs get document, and finally fax it
faxing requires a phone line and involves absolutely horrendous document quality. For me where I sign less than three documents in a year, having the fax and phone line simply aren't worth it.
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:35:39 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

But it could be....
Step 1 - Digitally stamp (or sign with graphic tablet) (or use a mouse and MSPaint) Step 2 - Email
(No trees were harmed in the making of this document)
This would also allow you to send the document to a specific person instead of the department fax machine.

om> wrote:

re: "...send the document to a specific person instead of the department fax machine. "
You gonna be there when my Compliance Officer comes storming into my office after I circumvent the corporation's compliance regulations?
You gonna be there when my Compliance Officer comes storming into my office after I circumvent the corporation's compliance regulations?
*****************************
Thank you for reminding me why I never worked for a big corporation.

especially ficticious ones
Pat wrote:

You're missing out on a lot of super vacation packages!
Best get your fax back online double-quick.

LMAO!
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Sure, but there are lots of ways to do that aside from faxing a paper document. Lots of organizations are stuck in the past because of inertia or just pinching the pennies too much. Think about Fedex or UPS as an example. 15 years ago the driver handed you a clipboard and indicted what line you needed to sign. Now he hands you a computer and has you sign on a screen with a stylus and minutes later your signature can be viewed on their website.

I'm not sure that your FedEx/UPS example fits very well.
I understand that you are just giving one example of the many ways technology can replace an actual signature, but a key factor in your example is that the driver still *hands* the client something, meaning that there is face-to-face interaction.
I can't mail a "computer" to my client in a different state/country and ask him to sign the computer and mail it back. I also can't ask all of my individual clients and all of the businesses/agencies I deal with to upgrade to a digital signature method - heck, some of my most wealthy clients don't even own a computer.
My guess is that paper is not going away for a long time, long time and therefore neither is the Fax machine or snail mail.

re: Lots of organizations are stuck in the past because of inertia or just pinching the pennies too much
I just met with a client that is an RN in a pediatric practice. She was saying that by law they are going to have to go paperless as far as charts within 8 years. The expense to do this appears to be more than this small practice can handle. I don't think that it is a "penny- pinching" issue as much as there just isn't enough bottom line cash available to cover the costs of the transition. They are discussing salary cuts across the board - from the doctors to the receptionist - and/or layoffs to cover the mandated costs.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think there is a little overreaction because paperless systems aren't that expensive that they would bust any practice except maybe a free clinic. Likely it is more of an objection to the culture change. Also it isn't like charts are free. You need a record room to store them and even a small practice likely has a full time person just to pull the charts based on the daily schedule, and to process them and refile them.
However I am against any government mandate because I don't want them involved in my personal business any more than they already are. I think the market should decide when it makes sense. If a doc decides he/she doesn't want to play it should be their choice.

Why doesn't this line instill any confidence in me?
"Sam's Club would be the one-stop contact for any physician follow-up questions about the system. "

I agree with you. People insist on sending me faxes and I had to buy a new machine as old one was worn out. In 2 months, new machine has received only one fax and that was from a telemarketer.
Same thing for US postal service. In my part time consulting, I used to spend $10-20/month on postage and now only spend the cost of one stamp to customer that insists getting billed by mail.
(metspitzer) writes:
| I called the bank today to dispute a direct draft charge to my | checking account. The girl said she would fax me a form. I asked her | if she could just email it to me. She said....no sir, we can't do | that.
You could always ask her to show you the fax that authorized the direct draft in the first place...

Fax machines are obsolete but many small businesses still use them. Many people still resist paperless. Filing cabinets are still around, but less of them unless it's government.

Bwah, hah hah. Every month I give our CFO a report on engineering hours, on paper. He types them into Excel. I've offered to send him the hours already in Excel, but he'll have none of it.
Cindy Hamilton
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:02:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

That is what happens with my Medical Labs too. My main hospital is about an hour and a half drive, so they let me do labs near home. The local lab faxes the labs to my hospital and they have to enter the results into the computer.
I asked once why they didn't just send them the Excel file. She said, these computers are not connected to the Internet.