OT: Snowblower Feet/skids

Page 2 of 2
On 1/6/14 7:37 PM, Roy wrote:

I bet it's been ten years since I've actually seen a farmer plowing his field. It was wheat stubble.
You guys (and/or gals) are the bomb. Bringing new ideas or simply ones I haven't thought of to the table is why this place is great.
All your experiences and expertise are appreciated.
I like all suggestions and will look into them. Overall, I like the idea of something that rolls, but anything to improve the situation is better than what it is now.
One thought which came to my mind was Oren's suggestion of a round metal stock. Not exactly sure what he is implying but I vision a round disc, so to speak, attached to the auger sides in the elongated grooves to allow proper height adjustment and then rolls along on the ground.

I put a set of the rollers shown in the link above on my Cub Cadet 2 stage last year.
Two observations...they work well and don't have to be adjusted freqently like the old guides. I was worried about durability but they have held up so far.
But because the wheels are fairly wide, they will climb up any packed down snow (like from car tires) rather than cut through it like the narrow steel guides will. So it doesn't clear those areas quite as well. Probably work pretty well on gravel though....
I try to clear the drive before driving on the snow, but that's often not feasible.
On balance, I like the wheels better than the stock guides.
A craftsman blower I had many years ago had big (maybe 3" diameter) but thin steel wheels as guides. they were the best...didn't wear down fast but cut through packed down snow. If the plastic wheels ever break I may jury-rig a set of thin steel wheels.
Paul F.
On 1/9/14 9:41 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:
Some cut.

I wonder if something like a single groove pulley would work. Example: http://tinyurl.com/owfet7r (Surplus Center)
Meanie wrote:

The skids on my 1964 Airens SnoThro (2 stage 4 cylinder) were getting pretty thin about 15 years ago so I welded a couple of strips of 1/4" thick steel stock (about 4" long by 1.5"wide) to them and there's still plenty left.
They sure knew how to build them back then, those skids, a couple of spark plugs and a rubber shift/clutch disk are the only things I've had to replace in all those years. I fired it up last weekend (120v electric starter) and it worked as well as ever.
Though, I refer to mine as "The widow maker" as it hasn't got a single safety feature on it. If you slip and fall and lose hold of the handles it just keeps moving on, and you'd better get up pretty quick in case it decides to turn around and head back down my sloping driveway toward you. DAMHIKT
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 1/12/2014 11:31 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Pirrhanna?
Would that be Jaws, or Blows?
--
.