OT Incoming phone service only

Page 1 of 3

I went to visit my aunt in the convalescent center. She has dementia. She seems very sharp minded, but sometimes she talks about things you know are just not true.
Anyway, her children won't let her have a phone because she has been known to call the local sheriff's office to complain about a relative stealing from her (which no one else believes is true).
I was wondering, and will check Monday, if the phone company offers a service where she would be able to receive calls, but not be able to make them. I am sure there would be a way to disable the phone to prevent her from making calls, but it would seem to me that if the phone company offered such a service it might also be a lower cost.

you could probably disconnet the touch pad to prevent outgoing calls, think inside the phone. there are outgoing call restrictors but most permt 911 calls
call your phone company but i bet they will charge a lot per month
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:48:15 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

system - MOST of which can be programmed not to accept outgoing calls without a special code - or at all. SOME can even be programed to allow only calls to specified numbers from a given extention.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And we have a winner! Other than places with independent apartments with call buttons, most 'homes' do not have private lines, just extensions of a PBX, as an 'optional' (aka profit center) extra. (Lotsa hospitals now charge extra for a phone as well.) Talk to the manager there.
--
aem sends...

Buy an old Western Electric touch tone phone and hook it up backward (swap red and green). That renders the touch tone pad dead but it will still ring and you can talk. You can save a few bucks on the bill by not buying a long distance carrier since she won't be calling out.

If your original question does not get a reply, you can easily disable any push button phone from making outgoing calls by simply reversing polarity. By this I mean that you usually have a red and a green wire that are in a typical phone jack and if these leads are reversed, then the phone can ring, it will give you a dial tone but the push buttons on the phone will not work.
--

Roger Shoaf

I wish I knew that 40 years ago, I hooked up extra phones and a few I now know were backwards
Roger Shoaf wrote:

touch-tone. More modern ones don't care. Don't think it has ever been true for the cheap throw-away phones like you buy at Wally World, since all their brains are on a chip.
And even if the TT pad is disabled, you can still dial by using the hook lever as a telegraph key....
--
aem sends...

Andy comments: Yes, I did that a lot as a kid. However, I was under the impression that if "tone" service is the one provided by the company, then pulse calling can't be done. Damn, I only have one phone line and am now using the puter on it, so I can't go and test this before I send this. But I'm going to try in a few minutes. I just haven't done that in 40 years......
I don't have a single phone, or modem, in my house that won't work properly if the wires are reversed. In fact, I've never seen or used one that required definite polarity for operation, and I've been tapping, installing, wiring, and messing with phones since I was 10 years old --- a long long long time...... that being said, I haven't tried them all, so it might be accurate for specific systems....... somewhere.
Anyway, I'm off to see if my phone here can access the line with pulses. I suggest that others who endorse this method actually try it for themselves , as there may be differences in the phone services......
However, even if it can, I doubt that a senile old lady in a nursing home would be able to figure it out.
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Eureka, where local law requires all foreclosed houses to be towed back to the lot withing 30 days.

I am sure you will be able to break dial tone and you may eventually call someone ("Moa'ula Iki Beach Side"?) but it takes a lot of practice to actually dial a particular number with the switch hooks.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Oh man, I always wondered what they were saying in that commercial.
Thank!
Jon

I just finally switched my line from pulse service to tone - and pulse phones still work just fine.

MANY electronic phones will not work with tip and ring reversed.

On Jun 13, 2:35pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

As an AT+T retired employee, I can guarantee that the early Touch-Tone telephones were polarity sensitive as far as generating signals to go to the central office. Newer telephones have a diode bridge that overcomes the polarity sensitivity problem.
On 6/13/2010 5:42 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Some 15 years ago, I made a repair at the home of a woman and her mother. The woman was 70 and her mother was 100 years of age. They had a 1948 Western Electric rotary dial phone with cloth cords that they were still paying rent on to Bell South.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

If there's one thing I've learned about the phone company, it is that they will never tell you when any particular charge or fee has become outmoded.
Bastards.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

years after letting people buy out their phones for around 30 bucks, IIRC, they simply abandoned all the others in place. Didn't have much choice, really- the WE plant had closed, and they no longer had an operation in place to recycle them with fresh plastic and stuff. So if a renter returned one, they couldn't do anything with it.
I'm old fashioned- I like WE phones, and detest the lightweight crap issued since then. Glad I have a crate of real phones in the basement. I used to pull them out of the trash at the apartments, or buy them for a buck at garage sales, but haven't seen any in the last 2-3 years.
--
aem sends...

There are over 400 for sale on Ebay tonight and a lot of the more recent ones are at $10 with no bids.
I still see them in garage sales for a buck or make offer. I have a stack of them too and 5 are connected (one is a pay phone) one still has the original TelCo phone number tag with my current number on it. (different area code tho). That was a rotary phone that was in the house when I bought it 27 years ago. It is hooked up in the garage. In true "illegal phone" tradition, only one of them rings ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I don't understand the last sentence?
On 6/15/2010 1:26 AM, Tony wrote:

It was once illegal or at least not sanctioned by Ma Bell for an individual customer to attach anything to phone company lines. Believe it or not, at one time, you could not buy a telephone at your local drug store. Phone service was essentially one big monopoly controlled by The Bell System.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Aye, when you ordered phone service, a technician would come over and install the line *and* the phone, which was hardwired into the wall (no modular jacks back then).
Of course, nobody ever complained about this, we were just too happy to get the miracle of a telephone in the house.
Jon