OT - I can't be the only one...

I'm kinda getting sick and tired of our Canadian Prime Minister, Mr. Stephen Harper, going to other countries and promising them a whole bunch of money and aid when that money and aid is needed right here in Canada.

I'm not a veteran, but my understanding is that Canada, just like most other countries, treats it's veterans like dirt. There's all the parades and the noise made about how all these men (and women) were and are heros, but where the rubber hits the road, and money is needed, it's just not there. Here in Canada, the federal government is closing a bunch of Veteran's Affairs offices across the country ostensibly to save money.

But, at the same time they've announced that they will be giving a pile of money and aid to the Phillipines because of the recent typhoon that tore through the Phillipines.

I can't be the only that recognizes that there's need for that money right here at home in Canada. Sure, I'm sorry that they had a typhoon, but money from Canadian tax payers should be spent right here in Canada helping Canadians. Ditto for the USA.

Why can't our government spend money raised in Canada on Canadians and give a great big heartfelt "Our thoughts and prayers are with you." to the Phillipinos?

Reply to
nestork

Quit your whining. I know little or nothing about your politicians, but I'll trade our Dickwad-in-chief for your Stephen Harper in a heart beat! Is it a deal?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Steve Stone

Didn't snip a thing because I agree . Example : We have bridges all over the USA that are in dire need of repairs that we can't afford because we're sending aid to countries all over the world who hate our guts . And what's up with this Wounded Warrior Project , shouldn't the government that got these kids maimed pay for their care and appliances ? On the bright side , I saw today where the budget had cuts to a couple of agencies that didn't comply with congressional directives ... but I'd bet they don't offset the pork that got added at the last minute .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Didn't snip a thing because I agree . Example : We have bridges all over the USA that are in dire need of repairs that we can't afford because we're sending aid to countries all over the world who hate our guts . And what's up with this Wounded Warrior Project , shouldn't the government that got these kids maimed pay for their care and appliances ? On the bright side , I saw today where the budget had cuts to a couple of agencies that didn't comply with congressional directives ... but I'd bet they don't offset the pork that got added at the last minute .

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

I'm sure if you look at the actual numbers, Canada, like the USA is spending huge amounts on it's own country, helping it's own citizens and the amount going to the typhoon victims is very small in comparison.

You can always make the argument that more should go to some group that seems worthy, but to say that should be done to the exclusion of all else doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Historically, leading countries of the world have responded to the various disasters around the world and I don't see a problem with it. At least it's a worthy cause. Apparently Canada is sending $40mil in govt aid to the Philipines. Diane Feinsten and the Democrats just spent that amount on the totally wasted investigation into the CIA. For $40 mil, all she did was rehash the same stuff that we already had heard 6 years ago, drag her own country through the dirt one more time, and put lives at risk, particularly our armed forces fighting abroad. I'd much rather that money went to the Philipines, where at least it would do some good. ago and drag

Reply to
trader_4

First and foremost, I agree with what you've stated but....

it could be argued that we, the willing dupes that we are, go to our local big-box superstore and choose to buy "trade deficit" products because they are a few pennies cheaper than domestic products.

So really, if "We The People" are willing to slit our own throats, should we expect anything else from our government?

Reply to
Taxpayer

I think the problem there is that in most cases the products aren't just a few pennies cheaper, there is a substantial difference. And in many cases, you can't find a particular product made in America anymore at all, or if it does exist, you won't find it at your local HD, Walmart, hardware store, etc. when you need it.

Reply to
trader_4

If the price is close , I'll buy USA products - the problem is that we cut our own throats by allowing the unions to hijack manufacturing . Now don't get me wrong , I believe that unions did a world of good for the laborers of our country , but I also believe they went way too far in some cases . The unions , as our government did , grew too big and wielded too much power . It's not that power corrupts as much as it is that power attracts the corruptible ... And you could also say that we've been forced into buying foreign goods by the corporations that moved manufacturing overseas to save a few pennies per unit - which let them lower the retail price while also increasing profits .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I would rather have a small portion of our tax dollars (paid in by relatively few people) given to victims of a natural disaster than the large portion of our tax dollars given month after month, year after year, to deadbeats, ne'er-do-wells, and malcontents here at home.

Reply to
Reggie

Wife criticizes me for buying eye glasses from Zenni optical in China. She buys glasses here and guess what, glass case says, "Made in China." Not only that, but her last pair of glasses took 2 weeks. I've gotten them in a week from China.

All things being equal, I'll buy American but they are no where near equal.

FYI, my savings are spent on American beer ;)

Reply to
Frank

I don't know enough about Canada to form an opinion about them, but I do know that the US treats our veterans pretty well. Who do you think provides all those prosthetics to veterans who suffered an injury in service? The list of benefits is long, and I think you don't want to confuse your whine with facts.

Many knowledgeable people criticize the US for being such a rich country but being relatively tight fisted with humanitarian aid. That may be because they don't know about the money Americans give through charities. I think most Americans prefer having some control over where their money goes, and we have seen too many situations where our government has screwed up its attempts to provide humanitarian aid, and too much money disappearing into the pockets of politicians. Most of our foreign aid goes to political aims; we want some country to do something (give women the vote, for example) and promise them aid if they will do it.

I think our government should, with one exception, get completely out of the humanitarian aid business, lower our taxes, and let each of us decide if we want to help the world, and how much.

The exception is that the Defense department should respond to catastrophes. I advocate this as a way to develop and maintain the skills of our military. We should avoid, if possible, wars, but maintain the forces necessary to fight a war, and those needed skills could be maintained by responding to situations where people need help.

Reply to
No name

Wow, the VA gives you a prosthetic when you lose a limb in service to the country. I'm impressed. Of course if that injury ocurred while working for a US company, you'd likely get not only a prosthetic, but also $1mil to go with it. And you wouldn't have to rely on Wounded Warriors to provided you with a motorized wheelchair.

IDK what you're talking about. The US has always been among the top contributors to disaster relief, starving people, health crisises, etc What the hell was the Marshal Plan, when we rebuilt Europe and Japan? That was the most generous assitance in history. Didn't Bush send billions to Africa to combat AIDS? Haven't we just responded to the Ebola outbreak in Africa?

That may be

Plenty of the money that some private charities collect seems to go to salaries, overhead, expenses, and such too, with only a small percent going to actual relief.

Most of

Really? Seems to me we just hand it out, with littel accountability. Even Iraq and Afghanistan piss on our head, tell us to F.. off and dear leader says all is well.

How much do you think eliminating humanitarian aid would decrease your taxes? In the huge federal budget, it ain't much.

Yeah, like Obama just sent some military to build facilities to treat Ebola. That should sharpen the skills they need to defend the country.

Reply to
trader_4

And you don't deserve the freedom and rights defended by those who served and died . Go live in Somalia or some other shithole if you don't think our way of life is worth defending . We ain't perfect , but it's still the best place in the world to live IMO .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

+10
Reply to
Gordon Shumway

In point of fact, if you lose a limb while in the service, even off duty, you get a prosthetic, money, education, and much more. If you lose a limb while working for a US company, you get nothing if it was off duty. If it was on duty, you buy your own prosthetic, and sue the company, with a lawyer who will take a big chunk of what you win, and you learn about workers' compensation laws, which sharply limit what you can get. You can't really be that ignorant.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your babbling. My father taught me never to argue with a fool; he'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Reply to
No name

Baloney. Most of the workers who lose a limb at work are covered by medical insurance. Hell, everyone has to have coverage, per Obamacare and Obamacare covers prosthetics. It isn't 1900 anymore. And in many of those cases, the workers wind up receiving a whopping settlement, on top of their medical expenses.

Your level? You made it sound like the military paying for a prosthetic leg was a great thing, like the govt was doing a lot for someone who lost their leg to a IED.

And of course you won't respond to the rest, because you have no case. The US tight fisted with humanitarian aid? We're the largest contributor in the world. Good grief!

Reply to
trader_4

workers comp.

==============

If you are a federal worker, you are covered by the Federal Employee Compensation Act (FECA). Typically, workers' comp will provide 66 and 2/3 percent of your monthly wages if you have complete lost a limb or finger as in amputation, or have completely lost all use of the limb. Amputation or complete loss of function of a body part is considered a permanent, total disability and you will be warded 100% of the benefits according to the schedule. The amount of time you can receive workers' comp benefits for your injury is broken down by 20 different body parts, for example:

a.. Loss of a leg is worth 288 weeks of workers' comp benefits b.. Loss of first finger is worth 46 weeks of workers' comp benefits c.. Loss of an arm is worth 312 weeks of workers' comp benefits

If you have only lost 25% of use of your limb or finger, then you're entitled to the number of weeks according to the schedule for the body part injured, multiplied by 25%. If you lost 25% use of your leg, for example, you would be entitled to 288 x 25% weeks of compensation; or 72 weeks of workers' comp benefits.

Reply to
Reggie

workers comp and medical insurance are two different things. Medical insurance pays for prosthetics. You have heard of Obamacare, right?

Reply to
trader_4

My point was: good luck suing the company.

Reply to
Reggie