OT: How are foreclosure papers served?

The sheriff's office has visited my neighbor twice in the last couple of years. Last one was yesterday. Do deputies serve the papers?
I'd hate to lose him as a neighbor. It's taken me years to train him. :-)
Jim

Generally they serve court papers so it sounds like a good possibilility. Although some states allow foreclosure (but not eviction) to be mailed. They also serve papers about taxes unpaid, arrest warrants, general things about civil suits, if you "forget" to show up for jury duty. If they let them take home company cars, it could be anything. Maybe the cop's daughter and the neighbor's is in the same Brownie Troop and he is helping plot cookie sales. I had a neighbor all worried about me because of the State Police car that would show up in my driveway every few months. They were much less concerned when I introduced my Brother-in-Law the Trooper (g).
--
To find that place where the rats don\'t race
and the phones don\'t ring at all.

When I was in high school a few of my friends had some worries about me because I was being seen in a sheriff's department vehicle. Some thought I was a narc. This only happened during duck season.
Jimmie

From what I see around here the notice of foreclosure is taped to the door, the actual "notice to vacate" is hand delivered. The next day (24-48 hours) they carry your stuff out to the curb. This is not the same as eviction.
If they're considerate, with Vaseline. =:O
Master Betty wrote:

I got served once to give a deposition and just some ordinary looking guy was there and when I answered door, I was served.
There is no law saying you have to answer your door and if guy was worried and sheriff with uniform and badge showed up he could hide and not answer. Maybe he wanted to talk to the sheriff about you ;)

I don't think so. The first time the sheriff came over to my yard and asked where my neighbor was.
I really would hate for him to go. He's quiet as a church mouse....now. :-)
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Foreclosures are usually on the county court clerk's web site if you are really that interested. Real estate brokers regularly cruise those sites to look for deals.

It's in Travis County Texas.
My agent would know but he doesn't help much with stuff like that.
Thanks

Poke around the record search here if you are interested
http://www.co.travis.tx.us/county_clerk/default.asp#recording
Master Betty wrote:

It varies by state, area, and local custom. Around here they use part-time semi-retired deputies driving their own cars, but in uniform. In other areas, I have seen regular on-duty deputies, bailiffs, local PD, town marshal, whatever. (It is amazing how many people are entitled to carry badges in most states.) I think whoever can qualify as 'an officer of the court', and is acceptable to the local Boss Judge, sums it up pretty well. In most areas, after 'X' attempts at personal service, they can tape a copy to the door of the last known address, run an ad in the paper 2-3 times, and call it done.
But IANAL, of course.
-- aem sends...