OT HIghway Patrol cars

Page 2 of 2

The only two-doors I have seen lately are the stealth Cameros that some troopers were driving a few years ago.
A lot of the local sheriff departments are using two-door or extended cab pickups in our area. You put a dark blue pickup with gray insignia just about anywhere along side the road and most people don't even see it until its too late. One law truck in our area is also a Duramax.
RonB

I'll bet not.

That's not a battery?

Diesel! vs Durcell :^)
On 5/10/2011 5:47 PM, mm wrote:

Several of the PDs around here love those 'subdued marking' cars. Gray or black, with the sorta-retro-reflective dark side stripes and logos that DO show up in headlights (like while they are barreling through an intersection), but awful hard to see in daylight traffic.
Of course, around here, nobody but the cops and cab companies drive Crown Vics (and yes, the cabs are old cop cars), so anytime you see those distinctive headlights, time to slow down and drive like an old lady.
--
aem sends...

4 door cars are certainly more commonly spec'd by police departments, but I have seen a few 2 door models used by various departments, years ago.
As for the full size cars, that can be somewhat misleading too. Did you know for instance that a 1970s vintage Chevy Nova, then called a "compact" was longer, wider, and heavier than a 1955 Chevy Bel Air?
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
mm wrote:

Experience teaches: * With a handcuffed suspect and another officer, they both go in the back seat, suspect on the passenger side. * With a handcuffed suspect and a single officer, suspect goes in the front seat, usually shackled to the floor. * The ONLY time you get in a REALLY BIG HURRY is to protect or assist another officer. This call is put out, depending on the jurisdiction, as "Officer needs assistance," or something similar. In our department, "Officer needs assistance" means a catastrophic situation has developed in which the officer's life is in imminent danger. If this call is accompanied by "shots fired," the situation is even MORE severe. Going on, if the call is accompanied by the phrase "officer down," cops from surrounding couties will respond! * Many calls will resolve themselves with time. One experienced officer told me "You never run red lights and siren to an "assault" call. You want the fighting to be over by the time you get there. Likewise most domestic disputes."

They never do that on Highway Patrol. Apparently even the murderers were more compliant in those days.

On Tue, 10 May 2011 05:31:21 -0400, mm wrote:

Where are you finding these reruns?? They don't seem to be on DVD or on Directv.

They are on This TV, which in Baltimore is OTA 45.2. I'm positive that it's on in some other cities, but my browser has figured out that I live in Baltimore and that's all it tells me about. http://baltimore.thistv.com/ Oh, no wonder. Enntering www.thistv.com redirects to http://baltimore.thistv.com /. Surely that's not true everywher in the US. It's on in San Francisco and LA!
Clicking on http://www.thistv.com/schedule , the link for SF, redirects to Baltimore, but clicking on the google cached version doesn't!
But I still havent' found a list of cities or tv stations.
IT also has Seahunt, the Patty Duke Show and, which I never liked, Mr. Ed. Starting about 5AM. At 4AM is the Outer Limits which I also never liked. The rest of the day it has movies, what they call movies with famous actors before they got famous. Some are very good, some are actually famous themselves, many are 70's horror movies, especially Saturday night, and the rest are okay.
For programs from the same period, there is also RTV, Retro TV, which I could get from DC OTA on 7.3 for a couple years. Now ironically I can get it through the digital to analog converter which is connected to the VCR, which has a manual A/B switch connecting it to my central distribution point. With an antenna that is just a 5 foot piece of single strand wire lying on the floor of the second floor. But I can't get it with the 3-year old digital-tuner Philips DVDR connected to a pretty big antenna with an antennal amp in the attic. I have to fix that. I have the wrong remote for the VCR and can only record at the fastest, most tape-consuming rate. 2 hours on an 6 or 8 hour cassette, so I haven't been recording the shows on 7.3.

I would like to see those. IIRC, they were based in Nevada in the script. One time, they had an episode in Goldfield, which isn't the end of the road, but you can see it from there.
Now that decades have changed things, I'd like to see if I see any recognizable landmarks. What is the name of the network?
Steve
On 5/11/2011 14:49, Steve B wrote:

The show was written to take place in an unspecified western state, and there were episodes that dealt with patrolling near the Mexican border.

That's the fun part of watching the show now. Much of it was shot in and near rural areas of Los Angeles, which aren't rural anymore. The first season is available on Hulu. It airs at 2:00 am Pacific on This TV (http://www.thistv.com ), a digital subchannel in many cities that may not appear on cable. See also http://highwaypatroltv.com for more information.

This one took me to LasVegas too. Now if they would only give a list of cities, we would be in good shape. Googling Thistv Baltimore Las Vegas Los Angeles San Francisco might work.
It gave a Feb 7 article from business week
http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/news/2011/02/07/kob-launches-this-tv-monday.html
It says KOB is adding thistv but doesn't say where KOB is! Clicking on More, it is Albuquerque, Santa Fe and central New Mexico but it has no list of other thistv stations.
This is ridiculous!
On Wed, 11 May 2011 14:49:26 -0700, "Steve B"

Try Hulu.com They had all of the Highway Patrol shows along with a lot of other old shows (Sea Hunt etc) It was enough to get me to hook an old PC up to my big screen. Now I also use it for Netflix.

I learned to scuba dive from the same guy that taught Lloyd Bridges. Lloyd could not dive at the beginning of the series.
Steve

I'm waiting for the reruns of Amos and Andy. I watched them as a kid, and they were just funny. Probably too funny by today's standards................
Steve
On 5/11/2011 4:50 PM, Steve B wrote:

The actors were brilliant performing in what amounted to morality plays. The wonderful shows are not considered politically correct by guilt ridden Caucasians apologists but the funny thing is the fact that my darker cousins would probably love the shows if they were given a chance to see them. It's like the same politically correct bunch won't show the Speedy Gonzales cartoons because they believe it will offend Hispanics. Funny thing about the cartoons, the Hispanics love them. I found many of the Amos N Andy episodes at:
http://www.free-tv-video-online.me /
If anyone is interested? ^_^
TDD
mm posted for all of us...

What network was this on? I watched that show and have never seen reruns. There is a web site.., Remember - low bidder gets the job. We buy pursuit rated cars, which some are not. Ford says they are going to be making police cars (which they say every year) but I have seen the new Ford police car brochure and no Crown Vics were in it.
--
Tekkie

On Fri, 13 May 2011 11:21:10 -0400, Tekkie wrote:

http://www.hulu.com/highway-patrol
Ahh!! The squealing rayon bias-ply tires and the tube superheterodyne two way radios.
10-4
On 5/13/2011 11:21 AM, Tekkie wrote:

The beloved P71 CV is gone. Panther platform was just too damn old to keep updating any more- current gen dates from early 90s. and it was only an update of the previous one that goes back a decade before that. I think Checker, real VW bug, and maybe a couple others had models with longer production lives, but Panther CV is right up there.
--
aem sends...