OT - Fun with telemarketers

Page 3 of 4
On 4/7/2016 4:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yep, all about having fun with telemarketers.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/7/2016 1:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes. And it leaves something very critical out.
With toll-free numbers, the caller cannot block Caller ID. Toll free numbers use a different system, called ANI which sees the callers number no matter what. I think I read that in California, more than 50% of landlines have Caller ID blocking turned on all the time, so ANI is very useful for businesses.
There are ways to have ANI display a different number by using Google Voice. Too long to explain here.
There is also a way to use ANI to find out who is calling from blocked numbers, though if they know the tricks with Google Voice that doesn't work. It's not a free service <https://www.trapcall.com/ . It basically forwards calls to their toll free number so the Caller ID is displayed, then calls your number back with the Caller ID intact.
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 5:46:01 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:

I'm not seeing your point as it relates to the question "Why are there still toll free numbers?"
Please clarify.

On 4/8/2016 3:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
<snip>

Businesses want to know who is calling them. The only way to do this is with a toll free number where Caller ID cannot easily be blocked.
It does make things easier for the caller and the business in many cases. i.e. "we see you're calling from a phone in your profile...."
It makes things a bit safer too, since it's pretty easy for bad guys to spoof Caller ID and they could call into banks, etc. with your phone number if calling a non-toll free number.
The fact that almost no one pays, per call, for long distance, is not relevant.
On 4/8/2016 7:09 AM, sms wrote:

<snip> If you do want to call a toll free number, say to order a product or inquire about a price, and you don't want them bothering you in the future, blocking ANI can be useful.
With Google Voice, if you use Google Hangouts on your cell phone to place the toll free call, and use *67, then they transmit some other number to the receiving party. If you don't use *67 then they get your Google Voice number.
However if you are using an Obi device, with Google Voice, on your analog home phones, *67 does not block your number when calling toll free numbers.
On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 03:38:44 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

calling area can call you on your dime. There are still some companies run by Luddites who will use outgoing watts lines for a "flat rate" cost. instead of moving to VOIP phone systems to contact their customers across north america for "free"

are almost exclusively using VOIP systems where their cost to call Boiuse Idaho from Bangelor India is less than 3 cents, compared to regular "toll free" which would cost them 50 cents to 5 dollars.
They can have a rapid city south dakota phone number on that Voip system - or even a boise idaho number(which makes it a local call).
I could take my VOIP box to Nairobi Kenya or Daka Nigeria and make no-cost phone calls anywhere in Canada - and I can block the number.
On 4/8/2016 2:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Which ones can you have more fun with?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 2:26:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

How can you make phone calls in Canada if your box is in Nairobi?
On 4/8/2016 6:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

And can we have fun with you?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

wherever it's number says it is.
On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 20:05:34 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

Canadian number to MagicJack so I switched to OOMA. Love it.
Friend's son took MagicJack travelling through Europe - could call home and to all his friends from anywhere in europe he could get internet on his laptop.
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 10:46:58 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You missed my point. If you and the box are in Nairobi, you can't make calls from anywhere in Canada because you are not in Canada.
On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 21:02:19 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

On 4/8/2016 7:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That is true in many countries. But in some countries you'd need to plug it into a router with VPN capability.
A Magicjack plugged into a laptop with VPN would also work.
VOIP on Google Voice on the Obi devices has been tested in a lot of countries. For some reason it did not work in Egypt. The problem with Google Voice is that they won't let you sign up unless you are in the U.S.. So people are using VPN to get around this.
Ironically, the free GV/Obi service is much more full featured than even Ooma Premier, and about 1/10th the price ($1.25 per month for E911 service). I have a MagicJack as well, but the QOS is not as good. And unlike the Ooma and Obi device there is no voice packet prioritization option on MajicJack. On the Ooma and the Obi 202 (and Vonage) you can plug the their box into your broadband modem, and then your wireless router into their box. This theoretically improves QOS but it affects your broadband speeds. Or you can plug the Ooma or Obi box into the router, which loses you the voice prioritization but does not affect your broadband speeds. I did the latter.
The appeal of MagicJack was that you could plug it into a router or into a USB port. But with Google Voice there is no need for a USB device to make calls from the computer, though you can't connect a standard telephone set.
The big attraction of Ooma, in my mind, is that it's a single integrated solution for hardware and service. For a one time cost of about $120, and about $5 in taxes and fees per month you replace a $30+ landline very easily.
With Google Voice and the Obi the user has to buy the hardware, set up the service, do the porting (which is a two step process if it's from a landline). The upside of the Obi/Google Voice solution is that it's MUCH less expensive and has features that are lacking on the Ooma Basic service, and some are lacking even on Ooma Premier.
On 4/8/2016 11:26 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

First of all, you miss the point. Sometimes you want to know the number of someone who is calling you but that has blocked Caller ID.
Second, there is a big difference between a WATS line (please don't call them "watts lines", WATS=Wide Area Telephone Service) and an incoming toll free number.
Third, some VOIP providers don't support boxes that are used in other countries, so you'd need a way to set up VPN on them.
Fourth, with a VOIP provider there is no "local" or "long distance."

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 1:34:09 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

Well, you could call them and ask instead of waiting. I assume they have an 800 number. ;-)
On 4/7/2016 2:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What fun do you have with them?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/7/2016 1:34 PM, KenK wrote:

Oh, I'm sure those telemarketers rolled their eyes after your call.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 04/05/2016 01:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip]

I've had unlimited domestic long distance for more than 5 years.
A couple of years ago, I had a friend staying at my house call Norway. It was just a short call and didn't cost much.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/