OT: For the computer gurus

Page 2 of 4
On 2/3/2013 10:40 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Because people want to just use stuff. The usual scenario is they run out of space on the drive where their profile stores its files and the second partition is empty.
So now many just ship with one large usable partition. Not a bad idea really because you should be backing up files to another physical location anyway.

There is one "good" reason to split the drive in 2. It speeds up the hard drive access. They can advertize the system as being faster than if it was all one drive. Not much, but when numbers sell machines, that's all it takes. Better numbers, lower price.

With 2 phisical drives you make good gains that way. With 2 logical drives there are still advantages - less fragmentation etc - but the same head assembly still has to traverse the same disk real estate.
On 02-04-2013 18:51, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

In fact, if your data is on one partition and your code and/or swap on the other, the head has to travel much farther on average.
--
Wes Groleau

“A man with an experience is never
On Feb 4, 4:26pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't see how taking the same drive and splitting it into two logical drives is going to significantly improve the performance. You still have the same disk physical properties, ie seek time, latency, etc. And even if it did make some small difference, I can't recall seeing the major computer companies spec anything for the consumer that shows it. Maybe that's why my HP came with one logical drive.

My ThinkPads have all come with two partitions, one big one for the system and a smaller one that holds the original image (one can write a backup to it). My Netbook has two equal-sized partitions, both visible (no clue why someone would want that).

My Windows 7 system doesn't have another partition. Windows 8 (yuck)?

Sure is. Huh, wonder why I hadn't seen that before. It's not 100-200MB, either! The thing is 1.46GB! There is also the normal C: drive and another partition (23.7GB) Lenovo put there for recovery.
Good information. Thanks.

It's called "Backup and Restore". ;-) I use a USB drive for backups, though. I really need to make a set of DVDs and a CD boot disk but I'd need a CD/DVD drive for that. ;-)

Isn't that what the rich folk put glass in?

On mine I see 3 under disk management - 2 under Windows - and 1 when I remove the computer side panel.
Under computer management - only Drive 0 - with 3 partitions - only 2 with drive letters - C: and D:.
VERY common.
On 2/3/2013 7:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Glad to see you support your local businesses Ed. I use local suppliers when I can because customer service is worth more to me than price. Besides, I'm in the business of supplying service and I believe in the adage of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I also recommend the folks I use myself when I'm asked for a referral. Gosh, I wish more business owners could understand what good customer service is and instill it in their employees who deal with the public. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 12:09:49 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Why not? He is very competitive on price and while a one man operation, he had given us any support we need. Hi computers are reliable and really don't need much support. He sell you what you need, not what he has to offer and does not try to sell you more just to make a few bucks.
At the big box stores, you are just another potential commission.
On 2/3/2013 3:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Unfortunately many (including businesses) shop for price not value.
A good friend owns a commercial A/C - refrigeration business. One of his customers was verizon wireless. Someone started up a touted nationwide "mr maintenance" business and pitched it to them. Given all of the predicted savings it sure made sense to go with them.
So my friend was informed his services were no longer needed. "mr maintenance" contacted him and told him he could be "part of the team" for a significantly lower billing rate of course and my friend declined knowing he would only be helping "mr maintenance". He had a cooperative agreement with a company in another part of the state to cover each other when necessary. That company decided to be part of the "mr maintenance team". As expected the relationship lasted only long enough for "mr maintenance" to learn the ropes. My friend is good friends with the regional Verizon guy who said he wished he could call him because both the cost and response times had gone way up and they were just generally unhappy with "mr maintenance". As expected after two years verizon called my friend and asked if he would do their work again.

While this is true, and you'll get a better computer from a custom builder, if you are looking to spend less, it's probably cheaper to buy from Best Buy or Walmart and buy a spare harddrive to install your chosen OS, and will still save money.
Anything custom made is usually big bux!

I've bought the last few machines from http://microcenter.com . Good prices and service, but you can probably get cheaper elsewhere. My excuse is that there is a local store near me in a tax advantaged zone (3.5% sales tax vs the usual NJ 7%) I would also recommend PCdecrapifier. In addition, get an external harddrive or 2 so you can make a copy/image of your drive - First as is from the store, than when you've optimized it. You probably can skip the from the store because there usually is a way to restore to factory fresh. Rotating hard drives and backups might be good.
--
Best regards
Han

I'm sure they are available. At one time, Sony Vaio's were available bloat/crap-ware free, but Sony charged extra. Such a stink arose, they dropped the charge. I'm sure most reputable vendors will provide a bloatware free laptop if it means them losing a sale fon not doing so. If you insist on buying at the lowest price, like at some discount or box store, yer gonna get the crap.
Google for bloatware free.
Personally, I'd recommend a Linux laptop.
nb
Thanks guys. I'm currently viewing four laptops at Costco. Two are HP, one Toshiba Satellite and one Acer with good prices, but I've always hated that bundled software. Throughout my computer purchasing history, there may have been one or two programs I used total from all bundles and most, if not all, come with Norton which I despise. Therefore, it's just a waste for me.
On Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:15:46 AM UTC-6, Meanie wrote:

If you buy a Dell from small business I believe you still get the OS and Driver DVD/CD. And you can wipe the drive and re-install. If they no longer include it with purchase they will send you a one-time free DVD with the Windows OS from their support site. Good for all purchases within the U.S. I have sent for all of my Dells that didn't come with them.
On 2/3/2013 6:54 AM, Meanie wrote:

I deal with a lot of computers in my work so I've had to find software to keep garbage off of them in order to keep them working. ^_^
http://pcdecrapifier.com /
One of the best sources for free software that can help you keep your computer clean and in good shape is listed below. CCleaner is a safe application that works very well along with many others available on the website.
http://www.filehippo.com /
TDD
On 02/03/2013 06:54 AM, Meanie wrote:

I always do my own OS install, replacing all the crap at once.
BTW, Ubuntu (Linux) is a lot easier to install than Windows.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

About a year or so when I was considering Linux, concensus of opinion then was it's not ready for prime time. It did get a lot of compliments tho even then.