OT Fahrenheit

The "second" is a metric unit. The "year" is not.
You can measure the distance light travels in a year, expressed in metric units. That doesn't make "light years" a metric unit. It is based on the year, which is not a metric unit.
You can measure the volume (using fluid ounces) of a liter. That doesn't make the liter non-metric.

Mark Lloyd

I don't know where you are, but weather reports and temperatures on buildings are all in Fahrenheit. Schools teach metrics as though it was a foreign language. While whiskey, wine, and soda are measured being soda are being sold in metric, beer and most other necessities of life are sold in US measurements. Try to by lumber by the meter.
Dick

Hint: note his email address. The ".ca" means Canada.

Not in Canada, they're not.
--
Regards,

He happens to be in Canada. However, he could have been in every part of the world except the US.

remove the X to answer
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 03:17:08 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@smart.net (Dick Adams) wrote:

Try to buy plywood that isn't measured in mm. That is why you don't see real 3/4" or 1/2" plywood these days It is 16mm and 12mm. I bet if you really measure closely the 4x8 is really 1220mmx2440mm. China is metric you know. Some marine or cabinet grade stuff still really measures 1/2" and 3/4" but you probably won't be buying that at the BORG
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 03:17:08 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@smart.net (Dick Adams) wrote:

People often confuse the advantages of a different system, with the problems encountered in converting to it. These are quite different things.
Notice the complicated "standard" layout of the letter keys on your keyboard (qwerty). This was designed to slow down typing.

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

The trick is not to convert. It just messes you up and you remain stuck in the old system of measurement. It makes things so much easier. I confess to still preferi to measure fuel efficiency in miles per gallon, because the number of litres per 100 km reverses the significance of the size of the numbers. On the other hand, calculating travel times in metric is much easier. The standard highway speed in 100 kph, so a 500 km trip should take 5 hours. There is no need to go through the extra steps of converting 500 km to 300 miles and dividing by 60.

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 09:09:38 -0500, Dave Smith

Right. I don't like to see of the anti-metric propaganda that says something like "The quarterback in on the 21.8347 meter line." (supposed to make metric look complicated).

"km per liter" would have the units in the right order, and would be a closer equivalent to "miles per gallon".
BTW, I remember seeing the fuel efficiency of an army tank given in "gallons per mile".

I like to do math with simple numbers like that.

Mark Lloyd

Stupid example, though. If you're going 100 MPH, a 500 mile trip also takes five hours. If you're only using one set of units, it doesn't make any difference what they are.
Goedjn wrote:

More practically, 60MPH is a mile a minute, and very easy to work with.
Brian
--
If televison\'s a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
won\'t shut up.
Default User wrote:

Yes, but then you have to divide by 60 to know how many hours that work out to. 375 km at 100 kph is 3.75 hours. or 3 hours 45 minutes, while 375 mile requires division rather than just sticking in a decimal point. 6 with a remainder of 15.
I am used to the metric system. When I am en route to a city and see the destination signs and it says for example 122 km..... that is 1.2 hours. ..... and I instantly know I am just over an hour a way.
Dave Smith wrote:

Is that a problem for most people? After all, the same time system is used in most places.
Brian
--
If televison\'s a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
won\'t shut up.

THE metric unit of time is the second. Minutes and hours are not metric.

Mark Lloyd

I suppose you'll be leading the charge, then, to have vehicle speedometers changed over to meters per second? Don't forget the speed limit signs, too.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:26:21 -0600, Mark Lloyd

When does a french guy eat dinner? 648,000 o'clock ;-)
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:36:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Something reminds me of a quotation from the TV show "Perfect Strangers", that is "don't be ridiculous".
Of course I never said I recommended using metric time units.

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

So?
Brian
--
If televison\'s a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
won\'t shut up.
"Dave Smith" wrote

If you are 23 km away how long will it take to get there at 100 kph? When I am 23 miles away I instantly know I am 23 min away @ 60mph
What ever happened to the dual unit traffic signs?
Stephen B. wrote:

23 minutes unless there is something wrong with my math. Now had you said 23 miles away at 100 kph...
<snip>
Harry K