OT?: Connecting a OTA antenna with internet

I took the plunge and cut the cable cord which will be official on Tuesday when they remove equipment and do the initial downgrade to internet only. My intent is to add an OTA antenna but I want to avoid running new cable and tap into the current cables used by the provider.

I understand I can use a diplexer to unsure proper reception, though gathering info, one set up indicates using two diplexers whereas the OTA signal and cable signal are entering with the single cable exiting to the other diplexer's single input then out the dual exits. Since the original cable uses one entrance to my home, I assumed I can simply use one diplexer (OTA and Cable in) where the single exit would then continue on the one run into my home's original set up for all TVs.

Anyone with experience can confirm this set up and/or help me determine the proper set up needed to accomplish my goal?

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

I don't know what a diplexer is or why you need one, but what I used to have was a cable box in the bedroom** , and cables I installed mystelf to all the other rooms (String one: attic, bathroom, office/bedroom. String two: living room, basement workshop, laundry room, kitchen.)

When I got rid of cable, and used antenna only I put in a VCR in place of the cable box and when they went digital, I put in a DVDR in parallel with the VCR. I used to use just a 6 foot wire for an antenna, but when I wanted to also get the stations 45 or 50 miles away, I put a full-size antenna in the attic with an antenna amp.

What probably relates to you is that I can only go two steps without putting in a signal amplifer. (This is unrelated to the antenna amp.) Otherwise the signal isn't strong enough to give a picture. I know because I added one tv at a time and could tell when I had too many splitters. This might be different for you since I'm using analog TVs, but I wouldn't count on it. When you find out, let us know.

So for string one one amp is in the closet, even before the signal gets to the attic. And for string two, the amp is after the living room on the basement floor. I can't remember if it is before or after the workshop tv, but it's before the laundry room and kitchen.

The amps have been running for over 30 years with no maintenance. I forget the brand. It's a name brand for signal amps, but it's too dusty down there to go look. They have a coaxial input, and one has one coaxial output, the other has two.

** (and one in the basement iirc, but that's irrelevant now.)
Reply to
micky

Depending on who did the wiring and how much they were willing to pay, you might have home-runs to each of your tvs. You still may need an additional amplifier, but then you could get just one, with the right number of outputs. You can tell by looking where the cable box is/was.

Reply to
micky

I think there is a big problem with what you're doing, one that probably makes it illegal. As I understand it, you're proposing to join an antenna with an active cable television line. That potentially makes your antenna a transmitter, sending the cable signal into the air. The cable company spends a lot of time and money shielding everything to make sure their signals don't radiate. There probably is a legal and sound way of doing it, but I doubt the typical, cheap components will do it.

Also, have you tried to see if the local channels are still there even after you terminate service? It's not unusual for the local channels to still be there anyway. In which case, you wouldn't need the outside antenna. And if you do what you're proposing, I would think it could potentially interfere with whatever signals the cable company does still have there.

Reply to
trader_4

I can assure you it's not illegal. The provider will apply a filter to stop channel frequency. The task of a provider is to feed the home then the task of the customer is to use that feed for the amount of devices they have. I have every right to provide my own antenna and use the current cables. There are no signals radiating through the air or otherwise. Cable doesn't work that way.

Reply to
Meanie

As I said, I don't know what a diplexer is, but I assumed he was going to dicsonnect the cable and only use the wires installed in his house. I'm glad you added this paragraph. No, I didnt assume it. He said he "cut the cable cord".

Of those who subscribe.

If they are a subscriber. You said you cut the cable cord.

Is trader right about you and you're all wet?

Or was I right about your plans but you're going out of your way not to say that to Trader? If I were right, you could have answered him in one line, but instead you go on about filters and tasks of provider etc. We're not going to have another difficult, obstinate poster, are we? I hope not.

Reply to
micky

Cutting the cord is a figure of speech for ridding of cable TV. I'm not actually "cutting" it. I'm surprised you haven't heard the term.

A diplexer is similar to a splitter except it allows the signal to go in or out any input. It's main purpose is to allow two signal sources to enter into one line as well as stabilize those signals to avoid them counteracting with each other.

Reply to
Meanie

Really, you have a cite for that? That you can hook an antenna up to a cable line?

The provider will apply a filter to

Baloney. They did that 50 years ago. Typically today to cut off your service, they do it remotely, via the box. And here, even if they do, the local channels are still there.

You clearly are in way over your head. Sure, you have the right to use your own antenna and the current cable. What you don't have the right to do is connect the cable to an antenna and become a transmitter. There is a big difference. Capiche?

Reply to
trader_4

In or out any input? Nice. So now you're transmitting the cable signal out over the airwaves. Illegal and dumb.

Reply to
trader_4

Then you may want to call my provider and tell them that. After all, it is they who provided me with the info and told me the tech will confirm where he will apply the filter and ensure a proper set up along with my own modem.

Reply to
Meanie

Try calling the FCC and asking them if connecting an antenna to the cable system is OK, see how that goes.

Reply to
trader_4

Sure I've heard the term, but in this case I thought you should mean it literally as well.

Interesting. I'll keep my eyese open for that.

I'm happy now. I'll leave Trader to fight his own battles. I think he likes written combat.

Reply to
micky

The local cable company here is going to get around that now. They are going totally digital and even if you have a digital TV you will still have to have their special small box on every tv now. Free for a year, then a bout a $ 3 charge per TV per month. The modem for cable internet was free up to about a year ago. They started chargeing $ 4 now they are going to $8 per month. You can buy your own, so that is what I did at the first charge. If I can buy one new for $ 20 they must be making a killing on them at $ 8 per month.

I did cut them off the TV and went with Direct TV for now. May switch back when the 2 year contract with Direct is up. Probably not as for now Direct has much more that we watch. If my wife was able to work the computer stuff beter, I would just goto Hulu or Netflix, but I have to keep it simple for her.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If you are getting rid of cable and only using OTA antenna, why do you need a diplexer?

Reply to
taxed and spent

never mind . . "internet only". I understood that two days ago, but not today . . .

Reply to
taxed and spent

Confuscious say he who attach antenna to active cable tv system soon have service flagged and disconnected.

Reply to
R. P. McMurphy

Not a good idea. Connecting an antenna to the coax upstream of the cable modem could cause problems by reducing signal strength and adding noise, especially in the range of the modem's upstream channel. Much better to use a separate cable for the antenna.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Forget that whole mess. Make the "service drop" (coax out to street) home-run to your modem, and ONLY the modem. Wherever the wall plate connections go (attic, basement, etc...) run a new coax from OTA antenna to a splitter for TVs there.

Your TVs are probably using WIFI for the IPTV stuff (Netflix, Hulu, etc..), if not drop an Ethernet cable there. You probably have that part planned if you already "cut the cord".

You can't tie an OTA antenna to the cable companies' side of the demarcation. No, you can't inject signal/noise on a live CATV wire! Don't do that please. You'll get a visit from a cable technician rather quickly if you do mess with their system. It is very finely tuned and they (cable plant) takes extraordinary measures to prevent leakage. Many trucks are equipped with "sniffers" that will log the location of leaks. Your setup would definitely trigger their sensors in trucks and at the head-end. The first one is free, with a warning. They will shut off your service if you leak again, they get fined by the FCC for any leakage.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I don't know what the legal issues are regarding connecting a OTA signal to the cable TV line, but in practical terms you'll end up degrading both signals.

I have Comcast cable with my own purchased modem. Despite having Comcast check my signal strength twice, I used to have a lot of issues with the internet connection when the cable was also split to my TV's. Once I dropped cable TV and ran a single connection to the cable modem, my signal issues went away.

If you're no longer getting cable TV, I highly recommend running a direct connection to your cable modem.

Then you can connect your OTA antenna to the old TV cables if you wish (once they're disconnected from the cable company).

Your internet connection will be more stable and you'll get better TV reception.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I'm willing to bet you Confucius is wrong.

Reply to
Meanie