OT?: Connecting a OTA antenna with internet

Page 2 of 2
On 6/23/2015 4:22 AM, R. P. McMurphy wrote:

I'm willing to bet you Confucius is wrong.
On 6/23/2015 10:49 AM, Meanie wrote:

Go ahead, you'll lose. Creating an ingress path that puts noise on Comcast's coax absolutely will get you booted.
Jim wrote:

The injected noise or signal should be stronger than cable signal strength. OTA signal coming down the coax is micro volt range.

If you are getting rid of cable and only using OTA antenna, why do you need a diplexer?

never mind . . "internet only". I understood that two days ago, but not today . . .
taxed and spent wrote:

Need diplexer today? LOL!

maybe tomorrow! or even numbered days.
On 06/23/2015 08:59 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
[snip]

Except Tuesdays, when the logic is reversed.
In months with an 'X' in then, your diplexer will explode (but not on Tuesday).
BTW, So you thought no months have X in them? You forgot about IX, X, XI, and XII with the bathroom lions.

Not a good idea. Connecting an antenna to the coax upstream of the cable modem could cause problems by reducing signal strength and adding noise, especially in the range of the modem's upstream channel. Much better to use a separate cable for the antenna.
Meanie wrote:

Forget that whole mess. Make the "service drop" (coax out to street) home-run to your modem, and ONLY the modem. Wherever the wall plate connections go (attic, basement, etc...) run a new coax from OTA antenna to a splitter for TVs there.
Your TVs are probably using WIFI for the IPTV stuff (Netflix, Hulu, etc..), if not drop an Ethernet cable there. You probably have that part planned if you already "cut the cord".
You can't tie an OTA antenna to the cable companies' side of the demarcation. No, you can't inject signal/noise on a live CATV wire! Don't do that please. You'll get a visit from a cable technician rather quickly if you do mess with their system. It is very finely tuned and they (cable plant) takes extraordinary measures to prevent leakage. Many trucks are equipped with "sniffers" that will log the location of leaks. Your setup would definitely trigger their sensors in trucks and at the head-end. The first one is free, with a warning. They will shut off your service if you leak again, they get fined by the FCC for any leakage.
--

I met a guy today who said he was addicted to brake fluid!
But he says he can stop anytime.

I don't know what the legal issues are regarding connecting a OTA signal to the cable TV line, but in practical terms you'll end up degrading both signals.
I have Comcast cable with my own purchased modem. Despite having Comcast check my signal strength twice, I used to have a lot of issues with the internet connection when the cable was also split to my TV's. Once I dropped cable TV and ran a single connection to the cable modem, my signal issues went away.
If you're no longer getting cable TV, I highly recommend running a direct connection to your cable modem.
Then you can connect your OTA antenna to the old TV cables if you wish (once they're disconnected from the cable company).
Your internet connection will be more stable and you'll get better TV reception.

This will not work. Cable internet uses the same frequency range as TV signals, they just grab an unused TV freq and use it for data. So, there is not a diplexer that will have one port tuned to the internet freq and another port tuned to all the rest of the TV freqs.
You are thinking of satellite TV diplexers, where the satellite TV freqs are above the OTA TV freqs.
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 5:48:00 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

20 or 30 years ago i found out my neighbor must of done something similiar to the OPs idea. before the internet ......
anyhow one day my neighbor put up a new antenna, and got cable too,
shortly after this i found i could watch cable from my one tv. i even mentioned it to him, he didnt appear to care.
the quality wasnt perfect, but it was certinally watchable. then one day it ended when the neighbor moved:(
i missed cable so much i had it installed......