OT Building new computer (DIY)

Page 3 of 6

You might prefer to go with LibreOffice, as OO needs some plug-ins:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_office_suites
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!

Yeah. When Oracle bought Sun, the OSS ppl freaked and forked OO to LO, in 2010. Sun was always of a generous nature, but Oracle is a little too shady fer comfort. Oracle finally gave up OO to Apache but LO isn't taking any chances. I opened a buncha .doc's using LO, the other day. Not elegant, but perfectly usable.
nb
How about a refurbished Dell for $158?
http://preview.tinyurl.com/8827jsp

Fer a P4!?
I got 2 P4s. Got 'em both free. And I'm way out in the boonies. If I was in a large metro area, could probably find a p4 out by the curb with a "take it" sign on it. $100 of that is fer Winblows 7. I will admit it has a decent P4 and 2G RAM and USB 2.0. Musta been one of the last iterations of that family of Pentiums. I'd pay the $60 if I could get it w/o Win7.
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!

I don't know what all the "bloatware" that you find so objectionable is. I'm sure some of that comes with SOME systems, but it's never been a problem for me. I believe that was more of a problem years ago when systems would come loaded with offers from AOL, Mindspring, and other ISP's, etc.
I recently bought two HP systems about a year apart and they have an HP support assistant on them, and free limited use versions of MSFT Office, but other than that, there isn't anything else. The support assistant keeps track of any updated drivers or bios that HP might have and it will install them if needed and you OK it. It doesn't bother me and I don't bother it. The MSFT office starter software was a plus and I use it. Even if it has other software on it, if your friend doesn't use it, I don't see the big issue.

It would seem in a few minutes you could also just remove the bloatware that you don't want.

Yes, the failure rate is higher in the beginning, but clearly they can still fail at 6 or 9 months too. With a system from HP or Dell then it's their problem. And building the thing for a friend, those failures in the early days would seem to be YOUR problem to then deal with.

I didn't mean to imply that your friend doesn't trust you or that you aren't competent. The common sense aspect you speak of is why I suggested that for me, building a system for someone else or even myself for general purpos use doesn't make sense because you're not saving much, if anything. It's been that way for a decade or more now.

You said elsewhere that he's just using the thing for email and web browsing, nothing special. Hundreds of millions of folks are doing exactly that with all kinds of off the shelf systems so I don't see why his expectations would not be met with a $400 system from say HP. And you can customize those to a reasonable extent, change the CPU, memory, hard drive size, etc.
Being in the position of building a system for someone else today, from as you say a common sense standpoint, is not where I'd want to be because I can see a lot of downside and not much upside. But clearly you can and should do as you please.

I do 95% stuff on iPad. Laying on couch. Thank god. I had a acer vista laptop I gave away. I hated vista. Occasional boot problem. I bought a hp laptop. Hp assistant has done some good things, but it's a pain. Especially when you say no, and it does it anyway. Between Microsoft and hp support, I go crazy. It screwed up the computer after one update, but recovered somehow.
My last desktop from tiger. Amd quad core, no problems. Probably $250. No software included except drivers. I loaded XP, also had Symantec end point. It's great, except like my laptop, just set back for a while while everything settles down, scanning, loading, connecting,
Greg

I have a Compaq P4 in a drawer in the end table next to my Lazboy. A monitor on the table and a wireless keyboard and mouse makes for relaxes browsing.
My wife has a similar setup near her chair with the system unit behind the chair and the monitor on a wall bracket.
There is also the same model Compaq in my entertainment center for the TV ( got 4 of them for a tad under $200 shipped).
The grandkids have the other one out in their play room.
I have a few more machines running around here doing other things.
gregz wrote:

So you are not doing much. No serious stuffs such as numbert crunching using spread sheet or graphics work, HTNL programming, etc. AMD is not a goo chice for floating point ops.

opinion. And then only if you are replacing your machine every year - which is about par for the course with high end gamers.
Oren wrote:

Usage (and budget) will dictate the best choices. For instance, do you need hard drive capacity or graphics performance. Personally, I'd get an SSD drive rather than a hard drive--but that is because I place a premium on performance over capacity. I think the Dell medium end monitors are a good value (on sale for $239 recently from $300, I think). Let me know if you are interested and I'll look up the model.
tomshardware.com has LOTS of information on components.
Good luck!

you will get - 3 years old, industrial strength, high compatability and reliability Tier 1 machine. Can't ask for more for non video iintensive (not a gamer) machine.
Oren wrote:

It might be less frustrating to start with a bare-bones system or a used one, then upgrade.
I saw some desktop Dells that came back off lease to a school district: * $99 - Intel dual core, 2.4GHz, 1GB DDR2, 160GB drive, CD-RW/DVD, WinXP-Pro * $148 - Pentium D dual core, 17"LCD monitor, keyboard, optical mouse, 1GB DDR2 memory, 80GM drive, LAN, XP Pro. Add $100 for a terabyte drive and $75 for 3 MB more of memory. * and so on
The above were discovered at Directron in Houston. http://search.directron.com/newsearch.php?find=used&x &y3
Oren wrote:

I replied earlier that you hadn't specified any system goals or a budget.
One of the best arguments made against you doing this is that you become the "fix it" man when ANYTHING goes wrong and, as you must surely know, something surely will, and then you will likely be sorry.
Build for yourself, maybe. For someone else, forgetaboutit! : )
I think you would be being a good friend if you located a system to consider.
Good luck! Bill

Tell him to buy himself a laptop At the prices of laptops today, the savings for a desktop are not worth the effort. Plus the laptop provides a built-in backup power supply, aka battery.
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 23:46:35 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

Laptops have a place, but for home use, I still prefer a big honkin' desktop with a 21 inch or larger monitor, keyboard that can be moved around, etc.
When I want portability, my netbook has traveled to much of the US and Europe with me. Or it can sit on my belly when in front of the TV.

Nope. Lots of us.
Better yet, you can pick up decent box fer zero $$. Ppl can't give 'em away, anymore. Actually costs $$ to dispose of 'em. I haven't paid for a computer in yrs. Granted, I'm not running the hottest gamer box in town, but running Linux gets me what I need for nada. Finally hadda kick out the jams and splurge fer an LCD monitor, no CRTs lying around. My new Acer 23" is killer. I may join the 21st century if I can find a decent box fer < $200.
Oh yeah, two days ago a 17" CRT turned up, fer free. With 2 keyboards and two mice. I passed. ;)
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!

On 7/15/2012 9:33 AM, notbob wrote:

Back in 93 I paid $549.00 for my first 17" CRT monitor, the price was low because I got dealer pricing. Remember when a 20mb hard drive was cheap at $250.00? O_o
TDD

Yep. My first job provided PC, an old XT clone running MS-DOS 2.0. w/ 20Mb HDD and token-ring card to connect to company's mainframe HP-UX database network. It was the most outdated pass-me-down box in the company, but I was stoked and ended up becoming the Harvard Graphics pareto chart guru of the dept. ;)
nb

My first 15 inch monitor was $400. First 17 inch was $400. Still have it, Gold Star. it was around 1993 when I broke down and bought my first personal computer.
I saw monitors way back working at DEC in 1969. They were just starting to get into desktop monitors, vs the big rack mounted devices, using light pens.
At another workplace $2000 monitors were common in the 90's I worked on the worlds highest resolution monitor, something like $15k. Sony bought the company started by IBM, to stop making the product. I remember buying a high speed hd, $2000 for something 1-2 gb. Thing ran too hot to touch. Hitachi.
I'm glad I don't have to play much with hardware anymore, but the software will kill you.
Greg