OT: "Borrowing" someone elses floorplans

Page 1 of 3
Lets say for the sake of argument that a relative of mine has a house with a floorplan that I like; a tract house by a national builder. Then let's say that I contacted the builder about buying blueprints for said house (to build on my own lot in a rural area) and the builder said "we don't sell blueprints and we don't build on buyers' lots".
Then lets say that I photocopy said floorplan and pay an architect to draw up building plans. Would I be in violation of copyright?
What about if I moved the location of the entryway light 1 inch, it would technically be different at that point.
Underway wrote:

Why not just show the plans to the architect and tell him WHY you like them and WHAT you like about them. I might also suggest that you do some serious thinking and have a few comments about what you don't like about them. Then let him come up with something you might like even better.
I doubt if you are going to find many floor plans that are so unique that there are not a number of very similar plans in use around the country. What will be different are construction details that may not be apparent from a floor plan anyway.
Don't expect the architect to offer some really cheap price, because he will still need to do basically the same work as doing one from scratch.
Hint. How do you think your relative is going to feel if you end up with a home just like theirs? Some people would consider it a compliment and others would not be happy at all.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Yes it is a copyright violation. You are making a derivitive and that is the right of the copyright owner. Will anyone notice? That is another issue all together.

caught?"
Bob
: > Yes it is a copyright violation. You are making a derivitive and that is : > the right of the copyright owner. Will anyone notice? That is another : > issue all together. : > : > : > : As my attorney once said, "What is the crime, doing something or getting : caught?" : : Bob : : Your lawyer's an idiot.
By the way, copyright infringement IS a crime and there are criminal penalties though that is rarely done.

Art writes:

Not so, tough guy. Most cases are civil matters, not criminal.

It breaks a law. Is that not criminal?
Edwin Pawlowski writes:

No, not if it is a civil case, which is most all of them in practice.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

above ("most"). Many cases aren't tried as criminal cases, but some certainly are.
--
Keith

Keith Williams wrote:

Since when stealing is not a crime? Originality is considered property. Tony
says...

The thieves believe they haven't stolen anything. The creator still has "it", dontchaknow.
For those who don't believe copyright infringement isn't a crime try Title 18, section 2319 of the United States Code:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/uscodes/18/parts/i/chapters / 113/sections/section_2319.html
--
Keith

The interesting thing is that Patent infringement is normally not a crime but copyright infringment IS a crime.
says...

Keith Williams writes:

Infringement is not equivalent to a crime. Most of it isn't.

Breaking a law is not a crime? I may alter my lifestyle now and start taking money from banks instead of working.
wrote in message

Copyright law includes provisions for "fair use". Ever notice that every public library has a copy machine in it? Copying something (in and of itself) is seldom a problem. It depends on whether you profit or deprive the copyright holder of profit.
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 04:35:03 GMT, "Rick Brandt"

You folks are all still missing the point that the local building department will be the "cop" on this. They simply will not accept McMansion's plan if McMansion's name is not on the permit. You could probably FORGE someone else's engineering stamps on the plan but that IS a crime. There is nothing to keep you from redrawing the plan by hand and submitting it. You will probably pay more for plan review and they might just reject it without an engineering stamp. YMMV with that. If you are in a place with special concerns like wind codes (east coast) or earthquake (west coast) codes you can count on them wanting engineering but in much of flyover country, writing "standard practice" on the details may work for you.
If you don't need to submit a plan for a permit and you are only giving them to your sub-contractor, nobody will ever catch you. Just cut off the McMansion logo and engineering stamps.
Edwin Pawlowski writes:

Breaking a CIVIL law is not a crime.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

Care to parse this argument? Clearly copyright infringement *is* a crime (if not always prosecuted):
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/uscodes/18/parts/i/chapters / 113/sections/section_2319.html
Keith Williams writes:

You're citing the CRIMINAL statute for CRIMINAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.
Most cases fall under the CIVIL statutes for CIVIL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.
Learn the difference.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sup_01_17_10_5.html