OT - Best height for lawnmower handle?

Just got done mowing my lawn, 1/2 acre land, takes about 50 minutes. While I was daydreaming, I wondered what is the correct/preferred setting of the handlebar. Ski poles are supposed to be at elbow height, for example. Anyone here have strong opinions?

I would think whatever is comfortable for you. If you can't find the perfect place, make it a little lower. Making it lower will help if you trip/slip. Lower you may be more inclined to fall ON IT, rather than UNDER it.
Hank <~~~~ always thinks safety first

Thanks, I just wondered if there were any studies that showed a particular height was preferred from an ergonometric viewpoint.
On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 19:57:23 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

I've seen years ago adjustable settings with like 4 or 5 holes to set the handle height with screws to so my guess is it depends on your comfort. I haven't bought any lawn mower for years so I don't know if anything has changed since but I guess either go to web sites that sell mowers and look at their specs or just google this question. I would visit more than one site tho to see if you are getting more or less the same answers. If not, go to more sites yet.
On 4/21/12 10:57 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I've read of a study of women workers pushing carts. Handles at 2, 3, and 4 feet were about the same.
I mow half an acre without self-propulsion. My handle is set as high as possible, but it's 8" below my elbows. If it were higher, it would be easier on my shoulders.
My arms go down more steeply than the handle. It might be ideal if they lined up. If the handle went down more steeply than my arms, pushing could transfer weight from the big back wheels to the little front wheels. Too much of that would probably be bad.
Hank wrote:

I saw a kid mowing his lawn yesterday, no safety glasses, no earplugs. I know myself (and probably everyone here) did exactly the same when they were young, but man it made me cringe.
Jon
On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 08:54:47 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

He was probably wearing sandals too.
Depending on the mower, earplugs may not be such a big factor, but having something over the eyes is a good idea, if only for the dust kicked up.
On Apr 22, 11:54am, "Jon Danniken"

I treated a guy who slipped and his foot went under the mower on level ground. Lost half his foot. I cringe everytime I see poeple using push mowers on hills and ditches.
Hank <~~~~ cringes a lot
On Apr 22, 11:54am, "Jon Danniken"

I have never used safety glasses or earplugs while mowing a lawn.

How about a helmet?
--
Dan Espen

Only when I lawnmower race <G>

Good idea, Bu8t when you look under it to see about the funny noise, make sure it doesn't clip one of the horns off...... Those things are hard to repair...... ..........you gotta kill a cow and everything......
On 4/22/2012 9:07 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Armored spacesuit? ^_^
TDD
But, if just one life could be saved..... Think of the children..... It's for your own good...... Europe has been doing this for generation...... It's from the government.......

Armored spacesuit? ^_^
TDD

I should wear ear plugs. I notice the effect when I turn the rider off. When I use the push mower, it's always in a dangerous condition, on a hillside. Either pulling or pushing with my belly.
Greg
On 4/22/2012 8:08 PM, Ron wrote:

me neither. i do have an ipod shuffle attached to my fullsized headphones.
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 14:20:15 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Belly button +/- and inch or so. Or what feels comfortable to you.