Old phone jacks

I can't think of anything that uses a phone line, except a phone, that does not have an extra jack for the phone.

Reply to
Terry

Entombing a splice or working dead-end inside a wall is the LAST thing you want to do. Access for future needs or trouble isolation is always advisable.

If you must "bury" the wires, ensure that all connections are good, tight and permanent. Clear/cap any/all dead-end wire. Protect the wire and splices from potential damage from future intrusion into the wall space.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

They aren't, although they are functionally identical. When used as a demarc, the device was appropriately labeled as such.

These jacks, while not common, weren't all that rare. The spring-loaded, swing-down cover provides excellent strain-relief for the cord.

Given the age of those jacks, I'll bet there were TWO lines working at that location.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Plus the computer for dial-up. There are big advantages to not connecting the phone through the modem.

Plus, I have a device which permits unified redial and memory dial from every touch-tone phone in the house. And other functions I don't use. Mostly one presses two buttons in the same row or column, so that he only gets one tone, instead of two, and that tone does things.

Plus, I used to use a neon light, so that when the bell was off, I could tell if the phone was ringing. I turned the bell off because it kept waking me up, but the light across the room doesn't.

Plus, I have a dialer, that will call me or a friend if my burglar alarm goes off. And there are dialers that work with a pendant that one wears around the neck, if he is old or sick.

Plus, I'm sure some answering machines don't have a second jack -- my first one didn't -- or as in your example, the second jack on anything could break.

Plus, if something is worthy saying, it's worth saying three times.

Reply to
mm

That sounds like a phone man slogan.

We worked with lineman and their slogan was......

Dig a hole and set a pole Hire a man, fire a man Payday is Friday.

Reply to
Terry

I have a few of those- I believe they are the phone co's older style "point of presence" boxes that delineate (or used to) their stuff from your stuff.

Now that covered RJ-plug style socket is in the box on the outside of the house for residential service, and the box you see is on the inside of businesses where only 1 or 2 lines are used.

PO probably had a business at some point.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp