Old phone jacks

you find one with L1, L2, L3 outputs.) So unless you have the parts on hand to kludge up a multi-keystone box, daisy-chaining vanilla boxes is the only option. Trying to do a commercial-type drop with consumer-grade stuff can be a PITA at times. Other than the over-priced faux LAN stuff at the borg, retail places only seem to carry residential stuff, and most homeowners would be clueless as how to order the 'real' parts online.
aem sends...

I have a speakerphone from Radio Shack. It's a phone with no ringer and no dialing, so you need a regular phone too. It had an extra jack on it for that purpose. However the built-in cord broke off a long time ago (they do) so it has to be connected using that extra jack.
Since those 3 jacks were here before I bought the house, I don't know what they were all used for. Maybe someone hadn't heard about the multi-jack adapters. A lot of people don't know about such things.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

lots of splitters are marginal quality......
so one fopr anwering machine, one for old style standard phone, need during power failures, and one for cordless.
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:22:04 -0500, Mark Lloyd

I can't think of anything that uses a phone line, except a phone, that does not have an extra jack for the phone.
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:41:00 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Plus the computer for dial-up. There are big advantages to not connecting the phone through the modem.
Plus, I have a device which permits unified redial and memory dial from every touch-tone phone in the house. And other functions I don't use. Mostly one presses two buttons in the same row or column, so that he only gets one tone, instead of two, and that tone does things.
Plus, I used to use a neon light, so that when the bell was off, I could tell if the phone was ringing. I turned the bell off because it kept waking me up, but the light across the room doesn't.
Plus, I have a dialer, that will call me or a friend if my burglar alarm goes off. And there are dialers that work with a pendant that one wears around the neck, if he is old or sick.
Plus, I'm sure some answering machines don't have a second jack -- my first one didn't -- or as in your example, the second jack on anything could break.
Plus, if something is worthy saying, it's worth saying three times.

I have a few of those- I believe they are the phone co's older style "point of presence" boxes that delineate (or used to) their stuff from your stuff.
Now that covered RJ-plug style socket is in the box on the outside of the house for residential service, and the box you see is on the inside of businesses where only 1 or 2 lines are used.
PO probably had a business at some point.
Dave