oil burner problem

maybe someone can help me with this one, my oil burner keeps mis firing, it runs then skips for a second or so and then goes again as if it wasn't getting fuel or spark....... it has gotten pretty bad not sure where to start looking?
any advice?
thanks sr
Could be any number of things, but a dirty filter, clogged nozzle or sludge in the tank are possibilities

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/1986_January_February/Oil_Furnace_Troubleshooting
steve wrote:

Does this happen the whole time it is running or at the beginning? When is the last time you had filter, strainer and nozzle changed? Does it make an explosion sound when it is doing this?
all the time,

Steve, I had a similar problem. I fixed it by adjusting the electrodes on the igniter.
Tim Mulvey