Oil burner immediately fires up when thermostat calls for heat. (not the circulator pump).

I have a Weil McLean boiler with a Becket burner. When the thermostat calls for heat, the burner immediately fires up..rather than the circulator runn ing and dropping the temperature in the boiler (which would cause the burne r to fire up. I have 2 zones and when the other thermostat calls for heat, the circulator comes on and the burner won't come on until the boiler cools. I'm wonderin g if the other zone is somehow wired wrong. It's kind of irritating because when that thermostat shuts off, the burner does too. It was my understandi ng that the thermostat only controls the circulator pump and the burner com es on and off as a result of boiler temperature.

Reply to
finite.guy

How long have you had this setup? How long ago did you notice it was working this way? Do you know if ever worked differently?

Has this led to an uncomfortable home? In one or both zones?

If not, what made you notice the problem?

Reply to
micky

You are correct in how it should operate. Have you just noticed the way the one zone starts or have you seen it all the time?

It could be the boiler temperature was borderline and the first movement of water tripped the limit switch

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

lls for heat, the burner immediately fires up..rather than the circulator r unning and dropping the temperature in the boiler (which would cause the bu rner to fire up.

tor comes on and the burner won't come on until the boiler cools. I'm wonde ring if the other zone is somehow wired wrong. It's kind of irritating beca use when that thermostat shuts off, the burner does too. It was my understa nding that the thermostat only controls the circulator pump and the burner comes on and off as a result of boiler temperature.

I think that I'm noticing it more now. I replaced the thermostat a couple o f years ago and I'm wondering if somehow I screwed up the wiring. Sometimes the thing will fire up and shut off within 30 seconds.....very inefficient . I have a single zone in my den and when that thermostat calls for heat...it does the right thing. The circulator comes on and the burner doesn't neces sarily fire up. That particular thermostat is a simple non complicated one without the set back programmable features. The main zone for the rest of t he house is the one that doesn't seem to work correctly and it has one of t hose complicated programmable thermostats.

Reply to
finite.guy

You could invest a half hour and swat the 'stats to see how it works

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

calls for heat, the burner immediately fires up..rather than the circulator running and dropping the temperature in the boiler (which would cause the burner to fire up.

lator comes on and the burner won't come on until the boiler cools. I'm won dering if the other zone is somehow wired wrong. It's kind of irritating be cause when that thermostat shuts off, the burner does too. It was my unders tanding that the thermostat only controls the circulator pump and the burne r comes on and off as a result of boiler temperature.

of years ago and I'm wondering if somehow I screwed up the wiring.

I don't see how screwing up the thermostat wiring could result in the thermostat turning on the boiler instead of the circulator pump. It's just a switch, no reason for a wire capable of turning on the boiler itself to ever be run to the thermostat. Seems unlikely to me. Now if you were working on wires at the boiler end, then it would seem more possible, but still remote. More likely something would have to have been wired oddly from day 1.

inefficient.

Agree, That isn't good.

it does the right thing. The circulator comes on and the burner doesn't nec essarily fire up. That particular thermostat is a simple non complicated on e without the set back programmable features. The main zone for the rest of the house is the one that doesn't seem to work correctly and it has one of those complicated programmable thermostats.

Again, I can see how a thermostat could turn on the circulator pump for 30 secs, then off. But I don't see how it could turn the boiler itself on directly. Sounds like you're going to have to do some wire tracing.

Reply to
trader_4

On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 11:05:44 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrot e:

ls for heat, the burner immediately fires up..rather than the circulator ru nning and dropping the temperature in the boiler (which would cause the bur ner to fire up.

or comes on and the burner won't come on until the boiler cools. I'm wonder ing if the other zone is somehow wired wrong. It's kind of irritating becau se when that thermostat shuts off, the burner does too. It was my understan ding that the thermostat only controls the circulator pump and the burner c omes on and off as a result of boiler temp I will have the technician out to look at this. I'm not sure what is going on.

Reply to
finiteguy

ote:

alls for heat, the burner immediately fires up..rather than the circulator running and dropping the temperature in the boiler (which would cause the b urner to fire up.

ator comes on and the burner won't come on until the boiler cools. I'm wond ering if the other zone is somehow wired wrong. It's kind of irritating bec ause when that thermostat shuts off, the burner does too. It was my underst anding that the thermostat only controls the circulator pump and the burner comes on and off as a result of boiler temp

I'm adjusting the butt crack on my pants right now and lighting my cigar. That will be $150. Oh wait, it's Sunday, make it $250.

Reply to
trader_4