[off topic] Glow in the dark alarm clock

Page 2 of 3

Ive seen them but you have to push a button to make them light, post back if you find one that just stays lit, I just got a Weather thermometer with clock at HD, but again its dark till you push the button but it has an RF set clock so it never needs setting.

Ive seen them but you have to push a button to make them light, post back if you find one that just stays lit, I just got a Weather thermometer with clock at HD, but again its dark till you push the button but it has an RF set clock so it never needs setting.
I've got one of those. I tried every room in the house before I found somewhere the numbers would show up! Very accurate though...

To stay lit permanently would run down the battery too quickly, so that's why you have to push to get it to light.
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:55:05 -0700 (PDT), ransley

By the end of this century they claim you will be able to have a cellphone implanted in your head where you can get calls, go online, get the time, weather reports, play games, listen to music, and probably watch movies. It will be controlled by your thoughts, so if you want the time, just think about a clock. The problem I see with this is how to shut the damn thing off when you're trying to sleep, or want Microsoft or Google to stop reading your mind.
n]mar.22
On Mar 24, 8:46�am, n# snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

As well as all of the above, the gov. will be able to read your ind and control you.
On Mar 24, 8:46�am, n# snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

As well as all that, the gov. will be able to read your mind through it, control you and know exactly where you are at all times.
harry wrote:

Shiny side out, harry!
Jon

Battery != digital.
Just get an anlog one with luminous hands.
MBQ

There are very few battery clocks that don't use a crystal and a *digital* divider to keep the time.

There are some, but that's not really relevant, other than Dennis trying to twist the argument for his own ends, again.
The terms analog and digital, in refererence to clocks, usually refer to the display. I don't give a shit what technology is used to keep the time so long as it meets my needs for accuracy.
MBQ
In message

I have a radio clock which projects on the bedroom ceiling
works for me
and don't forget that clocks change this weekend
--
geoff

ransley wrote:

I am surprised that there is nothing like this available. It shouldn't be that hard or that expensive to design something that has a small photovoltaic cell to charge a small battery during the day, even from ambient light, and then dimly light a set of LEDs when dark using a low-power circuit to generate a low mark/space ratio driver to conserve power.
Not done the sums though so I could be way out.
Andrew
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:22:37 GMT, Esco wrote:

Quick look in the Tesco Direct catalog (it just happened to be the nearest) page 444 at least 3 of the 4 across the top of the page have luminous hands. The LH one looks to have luminous figures as well. The RH one dots for the hours.
--
Cheers
Dave.

they don't use radioactive luminous paint any more, so 'glow in the dark' watches and clocks are a thing of the past.
Robert

I've come to the same conclusion. The paint often *looks* like the proper luminous stuff, but it isn't. The clock I bought recently has some kind of fluorescent paint that glows green for a short while after the light goes out, but not long enough to be of much use.
--
Mike Barnes

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:57:02 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

The non-radioactive paints need "charging up" with decent light, kept in room with the curtains closed or only brief artifical light source they are dim. The best way to charge up these paints is with a UV light source, say a bank note light or one for making the invisible security pens visible.
There are still radio active glow in the dark things in the market. Mostly emergency signs and the like, they use tritium IIRC rather than radium.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On 3/23/2010 12:36 PM, Dave Liquorice wrote:

There are alarm clocks with tritium dials. Did not google far but they look pricey:
http://www.gemday.com/item0817.htm
Beta particles from nuclear decay are harmless.

Not completely. Bad if source is ingested, bad if source is inhaled in form of anything that sticks in lungs or is absorbed into the body from lungs. OK if in a closed container and low energy, as is the case with tritium.

On 3/23/2010 8:13 PM, Don Klipstein wrote:

Yes but unlikely and does not compare to the old radium dials that caused cancer to the women painting them on.
Frank wrote:

That probably wouldn't have happened as much is the ladies weren't in the habit of "pointing" the brushes with their lips.
(Or so I've read.)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia