No Septic Tank?

Page 2 of 2
try running a snake down the line, listen at ground to find where it goes
Steve,
Are you sure you have a septic system? You may have a line dropping raw sewage into a nearby river. What you describe sounds like a leach field but a leach field must have a tank. I'm afraid that you have a weekend's worth of digging. Start at the house and dig from there along the sewage pipe until you locate other structures.
Dave M.

Nah, Dave. I'm pretty sure. The cabin is on a mountain side, and the only flat area is where the leach field is. The nearest "river" is miles and miles and miles away, probably forty. There is a creek about two miles downhill from the end of my leach field, and at least 750' vertical. Would that count?
I do see some digging, though. I'm going to call the septic guy and have him come and assess the situation, and maybe run a camera down the tube.
The whole purpose of this is to make sure the septic system is in good shape before I bring in a bunch of sand and gravel to level the driveway and parking areas.
Steve
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:41:19 -0700, "Steve B"

I did own a home once with a dual septic tank system. I would have never guessed one was in the front yard...
-- Oren
Steve B wrote:

...a leach field _SHOULD_ have a tank..." :)
What somebody did to cut corners is anybody's guess, I guess... :)

Did you just purchase this property? If so: Wasn't it necessary for previous owner to disclose the condition prior to purchase? Didn't do an inspection prior to purchase? Can't ask prior owner what the deal is now even if others are "no"?

I am going up to the property tomorrow. In this mountainous area, almost anything goes. I am going to go to the office where the records SHOULD be, and say I'm considering putting in a driveway, and want to know if they have any drawings. We are the third owners of the cabin, and original drawings, plans, and notes are unavailable.
We are on a self-installed water system, and have a couple of other gray areas that we do not want to draw attention to. The spring is at a point 50' higher than the highest property, so there's not a chance of infiltration from the septic systems. The system was designed and put in by a team of doctors, the original owners of the properties. It is currently maintained and monitored by a doctor. But, still, it's not 100% legal, so we try to attract as little bureaucracy as possible to our little corner of Paradise.
I'm going to do some more digging to see if I can get more clues. Being post 5 way bypass surgery with an artificial aortic valve, digging in hard soil is not one of my most favorite activities any more.
Steve
Steve B wrote: ...

That's a reasonable bet, but certainly not ironclad. In mountainous territory particularly, there _can_ be distant causes of head other than local terrain. Periodic testing if not done now wouldn't be a bad idea just to ensure conditions...

How does that work when all of the houses are lower than the spring?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Simplest is the case of the crest you're on being an intermediate and there's a hydrologic underground connection from the higher peak...
Ever wonder how the spring is fed if it's the highest point around? :)
snipped-for-privacy@Neptune.com says...

ROTFLMAO!
Dowsing doesn't work.