No heat during blackout?

Page 2 of 2

When we protect stupid people from hurting themselves, aren't we screwing up nature's natural selection process? Shouldn't we let nature weed out stupidity instead of encouraging it's growth in the human populace?? ;>)
Red

Other's have offered suggestions...I'll just offer a story.
Many years ago, my old Perfection furnace had a lever on the gas valve that allowed the user to turn on the gas manually during a power failure. Since the blower would obviously not work, the manual said to use a 10 minute on - 30 minute off duty cycle to avoid damaging the furnace. I guess they trusted people to follow instructions back then.
One year I noticed that my furnace would not kick on consistantly and had to have it repaired. It turned out to be a sticky gas valve which they replaced. Unfortunately, new codes did not allowed gas valves with manual controls since people must have gotten stupid since the furnace was originally installed.
The following winter we had an ice storm that left us without power for 5 days. Kerosene heaters kept the house barely livable since the weather cooperated to some extent, but had I not had a furnace problem the year before, I would have had a much more comfortable experience.

Running any modern furnace to heat without a blower is plain ol, as stupid as it gets, moron dumb.

Running any modern furnace to heat without a blower is plain ol, as stupid as it gets, moron dumb.
********************************
Maybe. My old furnace never had a blower to worry about. It was 1950's vintage, relied on gravity and worked very well.

On a blowerless unit, 40-55% efficency is the best you would get out of those " tanks" , they are best in the garbage. Today aint yesterday in utility prices, its all new as in a babys ass.

re: Running any modern furnace to heat without a blower is plain ol, as stupid as it gets
Define "modern" in terms of furnaces
What you need is an alternative heat source that doesn't use AC power.
Kerocene heaters are one possibility.
A "ventless" LPG heaters are also OK.
They can keep one room confortable and a house from freezing in most conditions.
A generator will cost much more than a "backup" heat source and may be difficult to impossible to start when you really need it.
John Gilmer wrote:

If you are going to spend money on an alternative heater then spend it smart. Buy a vented cabinet gas heater with a window venting kit. Those heaters take their combustion air from the middle layer of the triple walled vent pipe and exhaust their products of combustion through the center pipe of the same assembly. They burn no heated air and leave nothing inside the home but heat. They do cost more then a portable or unvented combustion heater but they don't have the long track record of causing and aggravating respiratory ailments in children and the elderly. They also lack the portable combustion heater's long record of death by fire or asphyxia.
--
Tom Horne

I have a simple system. After the power enters the house, the line is split one line has a light bulb and siren - this is left on to tell me when the power is restored. The other serves the contents of the house. No chance of running the generator longer than necessary.

re: No chance of running the generator longer than necessary.
I assume part of your plan is to never leave home during a power outage. <g>
I leave a radio turned on, and a couple lights. plugged into the "house power". Run a couple chosen appliances off extension cords from the generator. No chance of hurting a lineman by back feeding. Alerts me when house power is restored.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus