New tile install/ floor combinations: was tile over oak floor

After careful consideration I have decided not to tile over my oak floor and instead rip it out down to the subfloor, and would like to install plywood and backer board for a new tile install. I have 3/4" subfloor and can only go an additional 3/4" more due to height problems. So here are my options to put over the 3/4" subfloor.
a) 3/4" plywood b) 1/2" plywood plus 1/4" backer c) 1/4" plywood plus 1/2" backer
Either choice would give me a combined floor of 1 1/2". So which would be best?
BTW a recipricating saw with a some metal cutting blades will make removing the oak floor easier. It barley needs any clearance to slip under the floor strips and cut the nails.

I would say B or C, as long as you are using the backerboard.
samruai
Mikepier wrote:

1/2" plywood plus 1/4" backer
--

dadiOH

a) Is probably your best choice, since the 3/4" plywood is stiffer than the other choices, and it is perfectly acceptable to glue (thin- set) tiles directly to plywood.
The purpose of newsgroups is to share info. Everyone else is entitled to their own opinions.
JK
Mikepier wrote:

I see that now you mention keeping a 3/4" sub-floor after removing the oak. That changes things a bit so (b) would be my choice. Denser than either (a or c) and that's good.