New Stihl Chainsaw

Page 3 of 4

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:31:57 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Thanks for the link, but I couldn't see anything there because when I click the link I get:
==========================You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1. You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again. <snip> =========================== I don't want to fill in the form and register, so if you say it's there, then I believe you and stand corrected.

Nuts! I tested that link and it worked but I forgot that I am already a member there. Sorry. I'll 'steal' the photo and give you a working link.
It's not really a very good one as it is the bar/powerheads mounted to a frame work for a chainsaw mill. Anyhow, I'm on dial up and ti will take me some considerable time witht he processing. Probably this afternoon.
Harry K

Here is a 12 footer
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292 / turnkey4099/76090mill1.jpg
And, I think, the same heads used on a shorter bar on an Alaskan mill.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099 / twin090girlz1.jpg
Of interest is that every one of the few I found are all 'homebuilt. I had thought that there were commercially produced ones. Guess I was wrong.
Harry K
-snip-

Darn- I wanted to see it too-- but I'm already registered to a million forums that I never visit. You need to be registered to see that page.
Can you quote something so we can try to find it somewhere else on the web?
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Whenever you register just to see something that requires a valid Email address, use the name Darin Dingleberry and the disposable Email service known a 10 minute mail. The Email address lasts for 10 minutes or more at your request so you can register. After the alloted time the Email addy goes away and you will not be spammed to death.
http://10minutemail.com
TDD
Harry K wrote:

Weren't they talking about a "combiner" in another thread? You know, the kind they use for harvesting wheat? Why are they called combiners anyway, they should be called "separators".

Because (yes I helped operate all parts of the system 'back when'...I think we were the last farmers to use one in our area, would have been about 1945)
The original 'mechanized' method of harvest was:
1. Cut the grain with a "binder" (horsedrawn implement that cut the grain and tied it into sheives that were stacked to dry)
2. Haul it to a staionary "thresher" aka "separater" for threshing.
Then they put both machines together in what became "the combined thresher' which almost instantly was shorting to "combine'.
Harry K

Mine nit pick. They are called "combines' not "combiners'.
Further pedantry. Modern haying equipment began as usualy with horse drawn mowers followed by rakes of various sorts to gather the hay into windrows. That was 'combined' into a "swather' that cut, conditioned, and layed a swath of hay ready for the 'baler' to compress it into bales, either round or oblong after the hay dried a couple days. Then somehow the term "swather" disappeared, at least in some araes and "haybine" took over.
Yes, it is Saturday morning, I am retired and I am bored :)
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

LOL! Yes I know they are combines, I was just goofing with this and the other thread.
I just thought about something. In todays world, well actually in the past 40+ years, when harvesting corn, was the same combine used to harvest wheat and soy beans? Did they just change the front end of the machine to match the job? Or was it two completely separate machines. I can picture the front end giant fork like thing for corn, and the... water wheel looking front end for soybeans and probably wheat.

Now there is a good question. Part one: Changing the head is a simple few minute job. Just drive up, pull a few pins and hydraulic connecters and back away to drop one head, reverse the procedure to pick up the next "header". Never having been involved with corn, I don't know if any internal changes are needed. I would expect that the shoes and concave(s) would at least have to adjusted to allow for the larger kernels.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Well that's close enough to satisfy my curiosity. I just like to know how different mechanical things work. It's in my blood.

Same here. Even as a kid I would dismantle things to see how they worked...mostly unsuccessfully and somehow the genie running them escaped as they wouldn't work afterward.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

I did the same but I was successful quite often. Fixed moms washing machine at around age 12. The guy that sold her the part that I told him was bad didn't want to believe I was 12. He told mom that they use a special tool to compress a spring to get it together again, and if I need it they will let me use it. She went back to tell them I laid it down on its face, the top against a wall, and my back against the opposite wall, and used my feet to compress the spring enough to get a few bolts in it. It wasn't easy but I did it.
On 4/24/2010 11:26 PM, Harry K wrote:

Sometimes, i would let out the secret smoke, and then you're really screwed.
--
Steve Barker

Ah! That might explain it. I always thought that a "smoke test" was a mandatory part of the operation.
Harry K

Well shucks, you asked about soy beans and I talked about corn. As for soybeans - yes same machine used, different head, minor adjustments internally.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

You got it right the first time, I was just generalizing between corn, and smaller things, like soybeans and wheat.

Hmm...i didn't find a picture on the links either but on dial-up one doesnt' do a lot of digging.
One quick hit on "two engine chainsaw" - I'm on dial up and that is enough of doing your work for you.
"It's a long Gwaii from here... - The AVSIM Forums I figured I'd be flying some small, two-engine chainsaw back to camp... not this beauty. I was almost teary eye'd as I stood there looking at her. ... forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=141270"
No, I didnt' go through that blog looking for the picture.
Harry K

Was no picture there. He was taling aobut "flying a two chainsaw (engined airplane) back" but the plane turned out to be a Catalien flying boat.
Harry K

See Dadioh's post. There is no attempt to "synchronize", both operators squeeze WOT (as any chainsaw is supposed to be operated) and the output is the mid ground hp between the two.
Using your theory, all those multi engine dragsters are also impossible.
Harry K