New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down?

Page 2 of 2
- Cliff Hartle -

paper.
- Nehmo - It wouldn't hurt anything if a shingle stuck to the underlayment . It's already nailed or stapled to it. The "DO NOT..." is just a simple way of saying "It's not necessary to and you wouldn't accomplish anything if you did..."
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Good answer! Tom Work at your leisure!
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 03:30:27 +0000, Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

Not exactly true. That plastic strip also happens to be the nail line, at least in three tabs. Some manufacturers think it provides a little extra nail holding capability.
- Nehmo -

It's
way of

if you

- thunder -

line, at

extra
- Nehmo - The plastic strip is flimsy, and it's on the bottom of the shingle.
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Have a cite for that? How would it add any holding capability as the holding capability is in the wood deck, not the shingle. That thin strip will also not add anything to keep the nail from pulling through the shingle.
Harry K
scribbled this interesting note:

One reason to nail where the manufacturer says is so you are nailing not only through the shingle you are currently working with, but also through the top of the shingle below it-think of it as a kind of double protection. Another reason is that if wind does get under a shingle, you want the nails as low as you can get them and still have them water proof since the more surface area the wind can grab the more likely it is to remove a shingle for you.
The plastic strips serve no other purpose than the keep the shingles from sticking together while packaged up. No other reason at all. None. I've never seen any statement from any shingle manufacturer we've worked with in over twenty five years of working with roofing materials that says otherwise.
Of course I could be mistaken, just sharing what I've seen while on the job, while reading web sites, what I've seen in warranty statements, etc. -- John Willis (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Has anything changed in the 12 years since the OP?
On Sat, 7 May 2016 08:33:16 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Yes Google started giving people a portal to 12 year old posts.
On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 11:35:14 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The poster came from the HomeOwnersHub portal.
On Sat, 7 May 2016 08:43:42 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Isn't that a google spawn?
On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 12:31:54 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I see no evidence that it's part of Google or has anything to do with Google. Just looks like a web portal that someone set up on their own.
On 5/7/2016 11:43 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Most likely reading off Google archives?
See you all in twelve years.
--
.
Christopher A. Young