New lighted medicine cabinet: Why such low wattage ratings?

Hi folks-

Just remodeled the upstairs bathroom. I installed a 5-light medicine cabinet, which meant removing the existing light fixture in the room.

The cabinet was from Home Cheapo, Moterey Maple line by American Classics / RSI.

The bulbs it takes are 40 W max. So, a total of 200 W. This replaced the existing 4-bulb fixture which was rated for 100 W max per bulb (I ran it with 2 * 100W + 2 * 60 W = 320 W).

The room is now extremely dim. Actually, it's not the number of W that bothers me but rather the very yellowish spectrum that 40 W bulbs put out. These are small candelabra base bulbs.

I could go on at length about the low-end lack-of-quality issues with the Home Cheapo bath products (and may do so in another thread), but even many higher end cabinets I've seen elsewhere feature the same 5 *

40 W arrangement.

Who designs these things? A team of Morlock engineers?

is it a trend to have dark bathrooms? Or are people supplementing their med cabinet lights with can lights and other arrangements?

If I were staying here, I'd probably go to the effort of putting in some supplemental lighting, but the remodel is just to bring the bathroom a bit up to date so that it will look nice for going on the market.

Any thoughts? Why not just include decent fixtures that can accommodate a higher wattage bulb?

Marc

Reply to
MAG

just load those sockets with flourescent twist bulbs and you'll be a bathroom surgeon in no time. the color of flourescents is also measured in kelvin so a lower K is warmer redder as a warm white and a higher number is cooler or bluish as a cool white bulb. mix and match, you've got 5 sockets and no more squinting on the reading throne.

Reply to
buffalobill

Do they make "candelabra base" compact flourescents?

Reply to
kevin

I like this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, can I borrow it?

I shall not discuss the choice of fixture. I have a moratorium against small based lamps because of your situation.

These will help. They will not be cheap.

Reply to
SQLit

Sometimes it can take a while to realize people will sell absolute garbage that they do not care if it works properly or not. Happens to me a lot. Hopefully before the 30days have passed.

Right tool for the right job. Anything less is eternal frustration.

MAG wrote:

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Once it's on usenet, it's public domain, IFAIAC. ?

Thanks. I'll look into them. The specific ones you linked to would probably brighten up the room, but they are torpedo shaped, which would look funny. I'll explore for similar product that is globe-shaped. I was unaware that there were any candlabra based CF lights, so I really appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Marc

Reply to
MAG

Yes, I have a 4 watt one ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

This I know applies to you, external reader.

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:36:16 -0400 MAG posted:

They want to increase the chances you'll misdose yourself. Then they can send you to the medical products department.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman