new light bulbs

read the box the new bulbs are has-mat & you can't just trash them when they burn out.

Which new bulbs????
On 11/16/11 10:51 am, JP wrote:

The cleanup instructions are simple:
http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html
The same rules probably applied to those fluorescent tubes we've been using for decades -- but maybe nobody was paying attention.
Perce

Gotta love the last question/answer!
What if I can't follow all the recommended steps? or I cleaned up a CFL but didn't do it properly?
Don't be alarmed; these steps are only precautions that reflect best practices for cleaning up a broken CFL. Keep in mind that CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury -- less than 1/100th of the amount in a mercury thermometer.
It sounds as if it's saying, "Don't sweat it, this is all just bullshit anyway".

Of course it's all bullshit. Someone in the EPA once told me that a discarded mercury thermometer contained more mercury than a days output of a coal fired plant. But, this is what happens when you let government go berserk and control everything. Individual homeowners can slip under the radar but industry pays dearly. That's one big reason corporations are moving their plants to China.

Of course it's all bullshit. Someone in the EPA once told me that a discarded mercury thermometer contained more mercury than a days output of a coal fired plant. But, this is what happens when you let government go berserk and control everything. Individual homeowners can slip under the radar but industry pays dearly. That's one big reason corporations are moving their plants to China.
Take comfort. The Chinese government is now worried about coal-burning power plant emissions and is trying to switch to renewable fuels. Wonder why? They've also announced a ban on incandescent bulbs.
Tomsic
On 11/16/2011 7:51 AM, JP wrote:

LMAO!! i've been throwing them out the usual way. along with the 100-150 8' tubes i bust in the dumpster each year.
--
Steve Barker
On 11/16/2011 6:37 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Just dump em in the trash. The gooberment is forcing us to buy this crap.
Just like this god damn ethanol gas shit. It corroded the carb on my chainsaw and cost me 50 bucks for a new one. The repair shop tells me not to trust gasahol that is over 45 days old so now i am forced to drive down the street and dump my stale gas in the ditch every 45 days or so. Is it bad for the environment? I really don't know but as a practical matter, WTF else can I do?

You have subsidies for the corn farmers and you have subsidies for the ethanol producers... surely you must have some sort of subsidy for the homeowner to pay for ethanol damaged lawn and garden equipment, no?

No

Oh stop your crying.
Ethanol content will soon be boosted to 15%.
When that happens, you'll see a lot of small gas engines puking their guts and need replacing.
The best thing to do is buy a bunch of Briggs and Stratten stock.
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/bgg

It won't be just the small gas engines that will be puking their guts. At 15% ethanol there will be a lot of other engines destroyed as well. The problems with ethanol are many and have negative effects on all parts of the fuel delivery system as well as the engine. From the engines standpoint, the worst aspect is that ethanol acts like a damn sponge and will absorb as much moisture from the air as is available. That is what is the most destructive to your engine.
On 11/17/2011 4:37 PM, BobR wrote:

Yes, they're all goona be pukin' like a bunch of college freshmen.
This will be the gooberment's biggest stimulus package yet!

If you believe the line of bovine excrement your repair shop is handing you, then you could just dump the gas in your car's tank.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:37:29 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Its not bullshit. I've been advised to dump it out at 60 days too.
On 11/17/2011 1:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

http://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e10_engine_damage.html