New heat pump and furnace on the way.

Having my furnace and heat pump replaced in a few weeks.

The installer said that there are not enough wires for the thermostat control, and that they will have to get into the attic to fish more wires for the control, which is located on wall, I want to use the existing location for the thermostat.

Once they get the wires into the wall, where the existing thermostat is, they will run them to the furnace in the basement where the flue vent is, as there is not access to the basement, the ceiling is finished.

I wonder how they are going to find the spot in the attic to drill the 2X4 header to fish more wire to the thermostat, I have no objection to drilling a small hole in the ceiling above the thermostat as a reference guide.

Am I thinking thats what they will do?

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

Are you changing from gas or oil to heat pump or something like that?

thermostat

existing

guide.

Reply to
Art Begun

tflfb wrote: /snip/

Hopefully they will have the right tools. I'd use a BASE-BOAR-ZIT and drill up from the thermostat location.

Travis Jordan

Make sure they're experienced and reputable, and if they are, leave it them. They'll be able to see the framing for the wall in the attic, and they'll know where to drill.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

They might use the old wires to pull in a cable that has enough pairs of wires that you need...what brand of heat pump and furnace oare you getting? I have had a Trane system for 12 yrs. and never did it fail me. Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

I bought a Maytag Seer 16 heat pump and a variable speed Maytag furnace, I have natural gas heat at the present, but no heat pump. Maytag has a 10 yr parts and labor warranty.

The company is reputable they installed the present system when the house was built.

Reply to
tflfb

Heat pumps take between 8 and 10 wires to run properly, and if you have gas, they will sure need to pull a new wire.

I would not be as worried about how they get the wire pulled..(its actually very easy for experenced installers to do..we have one to pull in the morning in a home that has NO wall mounted thermostat at all..take about 10 minutes to get the wire pulled.) but I would worry more about that unit.

Make sure you get all your warranty papers..fill them out, and make sure THEY fill them out. Read the fine print.

Not a fan of the product...but if the price is right...

Reply to
CBHvac