New Gatehouse doorknob problem

Hi - I'm hoping this has an easy answer, or at least an answer...
I replaced our deadbolts and doorknobs on front and back doors 3 weeks ago using the Gatehouse brand from Lowes (made by Schlage). I was very happy with them. Was. Two days ago the front doorknob got stuck somehow. I noticed that the cylinder is sort of off center... when you turn the key, it doesn't line up the way it should. This keeps the doorknob from turning properly, and the inside twist lock doesn't seem to function most of the time. It can only be straightened and made to work using the key, but the next time I use the key, it sticks again.
I took the doorknob off, checked what I could see, and put it back on. It worked approximately 5 times before it began this routine again. As this is the front door, it's quite frustrating. I'm about to switch the knob with the one on the back door, but would actually just like it fixed.
what can I do? Is there a screw or a setting I'm missing? Should I just return it? I don't have the original packaging anymore. We had the deadbolts keyed to the doorknobs, but this was the doorknob that they used to key off of. The back knob, which is still working, wasn't touched.
thanks for listening!
summer
-------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 312111 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 9, 12:07 pm, SummerC_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (SummerDC) wrote:

Who did the key work for the deadbolts? If it was a professional locksmith, the fix is obvious, Take him the entire assemblies in trouble and let him deal with them to your satisfaction. It may be as simple as the key getting a little cocked in the cutting machine, or a manufacturing flaw. he can easily spot problems that to you seem obtuse. HTH
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
SummerDC had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-New-Gatehouse-doorknob-problem-330110-.htm : I had the guy at Lowes do it. The doorknobs were the same, so he only changed the deadbolts. The keys we're using were the originals that came with the knobs.They work fine in the deadbolts that were rekeyed. I tried to have new keys made but they don't work.
I'd rather fix this than replace it. When I had the deadbolts rekeyed, I signed a waiver saying they couldn't be returned. the whole purchase price was about $190 that I'd rather not write off.
------------------------------------- Joe wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 312126 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
SummerDC wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-New-Gatehouse-doorknob-problem-330110-.htm
That doesn't mean they are absolved of responsibility if the lock was faulty originally or if they somehow messed it up, only that you can't decide that you want a different style/finish/whatever and take it back.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Makes sense. I will call them tonight.
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/9/2008 10:07 AM SummerDC spake thus:

Take it back if you can and get a different brand or model next time. No lockset should be so shittily built that it jams and prevents you from opening your own damn door.
✖
On Sep 9, 12:07 pm, SummerC_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (SummerDC) wrote:

I would return them and stick with the brand name, Gatehouse is obviously Schlages "made cheaper brand", made cheap to compete.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley wrote:

I would also return it all, even if you have to eat the 15% restock. I have 'real' Schlage from Lowes, and have been happy with them. Hint- you don't need to pay for custom keying. If you get there before the shipment is picked over, just search through the shelves and grab boxes with the same code number on the little sticker on the outside. I got 3 knobs and 3 deadbolts all keyed alike that way, no problem.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah, we didn't get there at that time, so it was $10, no biggie.
I don't think Gatehouse is a "cheap" version by any means. They were much heavier than any of the other versions I saw. We were replacing builder-grade which stopped working after 3 years. Gatehouse was the nicest available in-store.
Add pictures here
✖
replying to SummerDC, Laura wrote: I have the same issue with this lock but on my deadbolt, we bought matching sets at lowes so they would all be keyed alike at our new home and now the key keeps getting stuck on the lock and won't turn sometimes or turns the thing too far it's a problem I've never experienced with any lock before. I'm very upset about this because I will need to buy new locks all over again to be keyed alikeI no longer have receipts for these..
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/18/2016 2:44 PM, Laura wrote:

The first step with any cranky lock is a shot of powdered graphite...
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/18/2016 5:53 PM, Don Y wrote:

Look in the phone book under "locks and locksmiths". Make some calls. One or more of those listed can repair this for you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young