New Garage Doors

Always get multiple bids....

Many companies would do track adjustment for like ~ $100... (And they will warranty the work)

If your door is fine, runs "nice and quite" why replace it?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

having a problem with my garage door - vinyl insulated sectional. The guy who rescued my car "said" that it was a bottom end door and wants to replace the whole door rather than just repairing the track. The difference in price for the repair and the new door and opener is $1000. I am now having this fear of getting stuck in there again, as he won't warranty the work. But the door sure moves nice and quiet now!

I have installed a Wayne Dalton before - understand this is a high end door. Like the look of the I-Drive too. This is Southern California - so moisture (most years) / cold is a non-issue, heat is an issue - which is why insulated door.

Reply to
ClaudCar

because of the way it disintegrated when it detracked. recommended to rebuild all hinges, half of them pulled out. runs nice and quiet NOW. the track doesn't need adjusting, the lowers need replacing because whatever caused the door to de-track torqued the lower tracks. the doors were LOW bid on the install of this tract of condos. to replace wood doors, but no opener replacement. so opener is of inderterminate age.

Reply to
ClaudCar

I'm just not sure that you are fully relating the story. First off, unless the opener died, you have no need to replace it other than your desire. It could last another 50 years, regardless of its current age. And if it were to die, you can disengage it, raise and lower the door by hand, etc/ till you put in another opener. Which isn't likely to be terribly difficult to install. And the part about disintegration. Put some Styrofoam insulation out in the sun for a few months/years. It degrades. Many of the insulated doors depend on the continued integrity of the foam panels. I'm just not sure that you need an insulated door. May be better with a temperature-controlled fan to reduce heat buildup in the garage. So I guess what I'm saying is that you should talk with other contractors, and don't decide right away about which direction to jump.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Foam (and many other materials) exposed to the UV rays of the sun will slowly degrade, but sandwiched in a door, there are no UV rays.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski